FJ40 running rough after gas tank swap and sitting for three months (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After installing a new gas tank, adding PS, and adding front disk over the last three months I attempted to start the 1974 FJ40. It did run but very poorly with lot's a stalling and coughing etc. To keep it running I had to feather the gas constantly. My best guess is that I knocked some nasty stuff loose in the original gas tank when I removed it and those particles lodged in the carb?

Where should I start? It has a rochester 2 barrel carb. Is this a carb with a bad reputation?

I was planning on simply doing a carb rebuild and a full tune-up. If that doesn't solve the problem I was going to a full valve adjustement?

Suggestions?

Change out the fuel filter for a clear one and be sure you check and clean the screen at the carb where the fuel line comes in (I assume it has one). Start with that and let us know what happens.

I'll try that over the next few days. I was having my seat frames welded to my cage over the next few days so I am without my FJ40 for a while. When I can get access to it I will check that.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom