FJ40 roif rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, guys. As a kid in the 80s I rode in FJ40s and FJ45s. I recently got a 78 FJ40. It came with a heavy roof rack, which I took off, so it would fit in the garage. Do you know of an aluminum rack that could fit an FJ40 and be one person job to put on and take off? Thanks, cruisers!

I don't know of an aluminum rack that is available commercially, but how about making some crossbars that you can slide your rack onto.

Something like this.
20190518_194012.jpg
20190518_194104.jpg
20190518_122704.jpg

And it gives you a solid mounting system for adding other fun stuff!
20200523_094352.jpg

I do like how you made those cross bars.
Great idea. Thanks very much. Wonder where you found the "brackets" that attach to the gutter. I like the idea of having that and the bars across stay in place, which would allow me to fit it in the garage and put an actual rack when needed.

Great idea. Thanks very much. Wonder where you found the "brackets" that attach to the gutter. I like the idea of having that and the bars across stay in place, which would allow me to fit it in the garage and put an actual rack when needed.
Those gutter clamps are the old Con-Ferr style, there are a couple guys making some nowadays, @65swb45 is one that comes to mind.

Thanks! Been trying to find a way to have a rack. The one it had was way to heavy to try to put back on. Don't want to be bugging my neighbors every time, so one that's a one person job would be perfect. I messaged @65swb45, so hopefully I'll get a reply.

Thanks! Been trying to find a way to have a rack. The one it had was way to heavy to try to put back on. Don't want to be bugging my neighbors every time, so one that's a one person job would be perfect. I messaged @65swb45, so hopefully I'll get a reply.
You'll have to call Mark at his shop, he doesn't do pm's here. His phone number is in his signature line.

I haven't seen him online lately either.

You can also check in the for sale section in the classifieds, or post up a wanted thread there.

Post a pic of your rack. If it’s the old Confer it can be cut down. I did this and my cruiser fits in my garage with the rack and 33/10.5
/15. Cat optional.
A8E57F89-219B-4DE5-A68B-E174B73030C5.jpeg

Have you looked into some Yakima or Thule crossbars? You just need the right height gutter mounts and the width bars you want. From there any rack/basket/bike rack/etc can be easily added or removed.

Check out Gamaviti

Tim makes racks for 40's (and all other cruisers) and also sells nice gutter clamps separately. Good stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom