FJ40 rear tire carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

View attachment 2472873
Maybe you can tell by the one I have disassembled that the splines help in keeping the tire carrier rattle free. The shaft is a pressed fit. I think to loosen everything in order to be able to remove it would only make the noise level worse than the current problem.

Are you adding brass bushings? If so where did you get them? Was looking at 40 series for sale in Australia and seen one with tube style carrier on the right side as well as the left. I thought about cutting a left tube style apart and reverse for the right side. My biggest complaint with the plate style is the dent it causes on the barn door/tailgate. Don't have everything adjusted tight the spare rattles. Right it puts a round sent in the door/tailgate. Arizona has a lot of washboard roads. Great for causing rattles and stress cracks.

As for the riding lawn mower I would look on Craigslist for a cheap used shed. I take it now the mower is in front of the cruiser which is why it doesn't fit in the garage?

Are you adding brass bushings? If so where did you get them? Was looking at 40 series for sale in Australia and seen one with tube style carrier on the right side as well as the left. I thought about cutting a left tube style apart and reverse for the right side. My biggest complaint with the plate style is the dent it causes on the barn door/tailgate. Don't have everything adjusted tight the spare rattles. Right it puts a round sent in the door/tailgate. Arizona has a lot of washboard roads. Great for causing rattles and stress cracks.
What you are talking about is what I have done. Just not finished yet. The tubes have been cut and inserts made. The bushings were found at Lowe’s. They fit well. PM me if you might be interested in my unfinished project.
back on subject. Can the tire carrier be opened before backing up to the back of garage? Just a thought.

The tire carrier only swing out 90 degrees, I wish it went a full 270.
I just finished building a shed to store our travel trailer and the FJ. It's 18 ft wide with a 14 ft door, so with the FJ taking up the front end parked parallel with door I don't have room to maneuver the mower in without taking the FJ out each time. Don't think it will be a huge deal given I am not mowing again until spring, just wanted the convenience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom