FJ40 rear tire carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys:
Is it possible to remove the rear tire carrier from just the two swing pins? I need a bit more room in my garage to park the FJ and I don't want to remove the entire rear carrier.'

Thanks,

the tube style can be removed by the pins, there are bushings in there that can be replaced. last 1 I did needed some heat to get the pins to break free

Thanks if it were that easy I would have already done it. Removing the tire doesn't give me much added room as the tire carrier has a built in hub that is almost the width of the tire when the tire is removed. I will try and remove the pins....

Removing the pins often requires a press, so I don't think you'll want to pop the carrier off the hinges every time you park, unless you fabricate a rattle-free quick disconnect system.

So how heavy is the spare tire with the tire carrier bolted to it?

What year FJ40? Believe the tube style does not have a nut instead the end of the pin is mushroomed. Plate style plate could remove the six bold remove the piece rim bolts and reduce to just a couple of inches. Either
one a cordless impact gun would remove the whole carrie in a few seconds. What year is your FJ40 and does it have a stock tire carrier on the back would be useful information.

20201019_185919.jpg

not sure you'll gain much after the tire carrier is off, looks like you'll need to remove the bumperettes also.

is your hardtop removable? I don't see a seam.

My FJ is one of those "SAs"... Hardtop does come off and I didn't think about the bummerettes until I looked at the photo as well.

South America.

Thought most the locally made tops were on mid wheel base cruisers not the FJ40s.

Edit Brazil had custom tops but those were not true Land Cruisers. Maybe Columbia had some as well. Costa Rica did some crazy stuff to their Cruisers but that is Central America.

Last edited:
Crazy stuff...indeed! I have side read sliding glass windows and the curved windows in the back are actually plastic!!

CE225B46-0074-40AD-A319-7AB0EBC799C9.jpeg

Maybe you can tell by the one I have disassembled that the splines help in keeping the tire carrier rattle free. The shaft is a pressed fit. I think to loosen everything in order to be able to remove it would only make the noise level worse than the current problem.

Thanks I have given up on the tire carrier. I might remove the spar and see if that buys me any room. I am trying to gain just a few inches so I can get the riding lawnmower in the shed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom