FJ40 rear storage ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy-

Looking for idea's for a rear storage box for the 40. Something to haul recovery equipment, camping gear, tools etc. Show me what you got.

I am thinking of making a "Drawer" type box with heavy duty drawer sliders. Or something that fits behind the seats in the recessed area before the rear bed. Or perhaps add a small box under the drivers seat. Anyone given something like one of these a shot?

Open to any ideas, like underseat boxes, removable stuff.

Thanks for your time!

Drew <><

I am in the process of building a slide out drawer in the rear. Same height as the fender wells and about 18" deep. I figure i can get my tools and recovery stuff in there.

This was the back of my 40, chainsaw and fuel on the right, axe beside box on the right, spare [36x12.5 TSL] mounted to floor under box, with rec gear in rim well, water container and esky on the left, and as you can see they are on top of the tubbed fenders, and the space case held food, camping gear, cooking gear and spares, swag went on top of blue box for travelling, and clothes bags between blue case and rear doors. There was some spares, and tools on top of battery boxes each side of spare behind seats as well.

i like

i put a nice and neat carpeted ply shelf that covers the entire back and sits on the hardtop/tub join. It makes everything look real neat and has made a world of difference. I can put all the recovery stuff and the esky and all the filthy stuff under the shelf and keep the swags and bags above it and clean. Its strong enough with the supports to take the weight of 2 people on top and gives me tie down points for the tool boxes underneith. Also lets me move expensive stuff under it without the riffraff seeing it. Both my spares go outside where they belong.

sam

[quote author=s79bj40 link=board=14;threadid=8687;start=msg75808#msg75808 date=1071484785]
Both my spares go outside where they belong.

sam
[/quote]

The closer to the centre of the car the weight, the less the pendulam effect, and the betetr the car handles. Hanging over the back, doubling the weight when in movement is NOT the place for them.

#sarcasm on# wouldn't it be better to mount it to the roof??? and what's wrong with just tying it to the bullbar??? #sarcasm off#

i couldn't find the room for them inside the car, given that its a shorty and not a trayback, i thought i was making the best of a bad situation by not having them on the roofrack where one was b4. That and i cant find enough room for all the stuff that needs to go inside as it is. I realise about the weight distribution problems and i pack all the other gear accordingly, but where do you put them in your shorty when going west?

Sam

I am going to mount a box of some sort immediatly behind the front seats, in that indentation where the rear heater normally sits. There are three captured nuts in the body there that I can use, and it will not interfere with the rear jump seats, which is a priority for my use. If I do not use this space for an air tank, then another toolbox will go under the front drivers seat, similar to the Toyota one.

[quote author=bad_religion_au link=board=14;threadid=8687;start=msg75819#msg75819 date=1071492689]
#sarcasm on# wouldn't it be better to mount it to the roof??? and what's wrong with just tying it to the bullbar??? #sarcasm off#
[/quote]
Don't forget about the hood! :rolleyes:

[quote author=Jonathan_Ferguson link=board=14;threadid=8687;start=msg76690#msg76690 date=1071633236]
What would that be in English? :slap:
[/quote]

I think he means the "bonnet" :D

Good ideas!

I would like to keep the ability to use the rear jump seats too. So mine either needs to be in the little "well" area behind the seats or removable all together. But I do like the idea of keep a certain amount of gear in the cruiser at all times.

Drew <><

I used a Tuffy box that was actually designed for a TJ,
.http://www.tuffyproducts.com/trunk/trunk.html
When it is collapsed the jump seats are still usable, but they are very close to the box. I mostly needed something that I could lock gear in in the summer when the top is off and so far it has worked great.

I just bolted a largish toolbox using the captured nuts for the rear heater. Good enough to keep a minimal tool set, and is lockable. I ground off the original small hinges and installed a full length piano hinge with nuts and bolts. No one will be able to get in it when locked.
I've heard that Man a Fre sells a full width tool box for this "well". Probably too pricey for me.

I use army Rocket and grenade boxes painted to match the truck and one is carpeted inside to keep the banging of tools down. I use straps to hold them in place. Each box has its own list of stuff so I can grab the boxes I need for the type of trip I'm going on. One box with basic tools parts and survival stuff lives in my FJ 62. I would think you could adpat for a 40 series.

baloo said:
I use army Rocket and grenade boxes painted to match the truck and one is carpeted inside to keep the banging of tools down. I use straps to hold them in place. Each box has its own list of stuff so I can grab the boxes I need for the type of trip I'm going on. One box with basic tools parts and survival stuff lives in my FJ 62. I would think you could adpat for a 40 series.

Where did you get those boxes from?

Any surplus store will have a good assortment for you to choose from... Different boxes have different advantages, but almost all are waterproof, provided the gaskets are in good shape. That's a nice feature, since you can throw them up on the roof rack if you need every bit of space inside...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom