fj40 rear spare tire carrier swing arm, is it reversable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
most fj40's come with a swing away spare tire carrier. Some I have seen come mounted on the drivers side, some on the passenger side. I was wondering, can these be reversed and work both ways? That is, if you have a drivers side mount, could it be put on the passenger side or vice versa? or is there a specific drivers side and a specific passenger side model?

the reason I ask is I was wondering about taking one of these spare tire cariers and welding onto it my own luggage rack/ice cooler design using a stock fj40 swing arm to be able to still get to the rear. so, if you had a drivers side mounted spare do you have to get some specific model fj40 passenger side spare swing arm, or can you get another drivers side and reverse the hardware and mount it to the passenger side?

They are different.

Just get the right year that came on the DS or PS and be done with it.

so, the year matters as well?

if you had a 79 with it on the DS, could you use a PS from say 77? or must you get a PS from 79?

I seem to remember someone fabing up a stock tube type carrier to the passenger side. It was on this board, but couldn't find it.

have no manual. but I see the carriers at SOR.. thanks! looks like the 8/76-1984 40 Series swing arm only came on the DS so you could not get the same style carrier for the PS.

Last edited:
There might be a forigen spec tube type tire carrier for the PS but typically people use the flat style mounts for one on each side.

Warden in Placerville ca made these carriers. Unfortunatley he closed shop over a year ago. Pick up a ds and cut out the tire rack and everythng can be reversed. The hook aad latch is still available from toyota. Look under the fender on the ps and you will see holes where the hingemount would go just drill them out and everything bolts up. That is what I did.

Swinging weight on the body sheet metal can't be good for the sheet metal.

honk said:
Swinging weight on the body sheet metal can't be good for the sheet metal.

The sheet metal is gussetted on the passenger side just like the drive side.

Nope. No sheet metal gussett on the other side, but you can cut one from another truck and make it fit. The lower mount bolts to the frame horn that's behind the quarter panel, but that sumbitch is rusted out anyway. Plan to always keep it closed unless absolutely necessary. Never drive with it open.

The pre-'75 tire carriers were made of square tubing, and were mounted on the passenger side. 1975 & 1976 tire carriers are identical mirror images of the earlier carriers, but mount on the driver's side. 1977 & later tire carriers are round tubing, and also mount on the driver's side.

Looks familiar ;)
rubicon2.jpg

Yeah I know its an old post but it is exactly what I want to do....original or not.

I'm still rocking mine, 15 years later it works great!

There is a complete post with instructions about making a tube type carrier fit the passenger side. Do a search on here, should show up.

Do the tube tire carrier holes match the 75-76 panel tire carrier holes? I want the tube carrier to replace the panel. Seems more secure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom