FJ40 rear sill advise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up a 69 FJ40 that needs the rear sill replaced. The previous owner cut the center section of it out. My problem is the quarters are solid. I hate to cut them for patch panels if there is a better way to get the new sill in. I thought about lifting the body but then worry about alignment issues. Thought about cutting the new sill and welding it back together once it’s in place. Am I overthinking this? Should I just cut the good lower quarters and go that route? Thanks

The quarter panels are the least of your problems. From the factory the rear sill goes in first. It is spot welded to the corners of the side panels. The rear floor then extends past the sill and folds over and goes half way down the rear sill. The a cover goes over the rear sill between the opening between the side panels. The cover is welded to the sill along the sides. The sill has a few welds to the floor underneath. The cover piece has a few welds to the floor on top. The factory sill is formed to allow the floor to fit tight on the lower half after the floor ends. This is how is was done until the 79 model with a mod in the cover with the 72 model.

Welcome to Mud!

Pics would help to understand a little better what you're dealing with.

Welcome to Mud!

Pics would help to understand a little better what you're dealing with.
Here you go.

DE9FD7C7-BCFD-41D0-83D4-D71B318E9546.jpeg

What does the back of the rear floor look like? From that picture I see nothing to be gained by removing the rear quarter panels.

Where is the C Channel that goes behind the sill, was that cut also? That’s what ties the rear of the body together (side to side). Just replacing the sill doesn’t support the floor and open box section that make up the tailgate. Not to mention the spare tire latch...and weight.

Where is the C Channel that goes behind the sill, was that cut also? That’s what ties the rear of the body together (side to side). Just replacing the sill doesn’t support the floor and open box section that make up the tailgate. Not to mention the spare tire latch...and weight.
He cut all the center out. I have a new sill and c channel that come with it. I just need to figure out the best way to get the new sill in. I hate to cut the solid quarters but that might be my best option. I was going to just drill out the spot welds on the corner pieces of the old sill. The only way I see to get the new sill in is to cut the quarters or possibly lift the body enough to get it into place.

If you have solid metal on the rear corners I would not cut them to install the main C channel. The gap between the barn doors can tell things are out of alignment. Doesn't show in the picture but thing you have a hard top installed. The hard top doesn't keep everything in place. If it did you wouldn't have the gap between the barn doors. This is not a job you want to take short cuts.

Attached are picture of my 68 with similar issues.....we had the body off and original disassembly we found substantial rust under C channel where it wraps around the rear fender skirts. You can see where we cut into the fenders. You can also see where we POR15’ed the new lip before paint. Also note the ‘Pota-Power’ laying in the bed. We had to ‘jack the tailgate square’ because the corroded rear sill allowed the spare tire to sag and tweak the rear passenger fender.....lots of fit-up with rear gate to get it squared up.

AC76CBC9-200E-46B1-81FE-05A305378F88.jpeg
194FE619-221E-4C86-ABF7-8FDB71BE3FF4.jpeg

1ECB0B1C-29F9-4D35-8ABB-6EC48775FE14.jpeg

6675135F-DB8E-4852-977E-15EE1A13B700.jpeg
2A2C7CF3-D0E1-4DF6-92B5-078744725188.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom