FJ40 Rear Rack (who made it?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kevos37

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
I came across one of these, it has a con-ferr sticker on it. I have not seen any articles on it just a couple pictures. I thought for a minute it was homemade, but I see these pictures around.

Cheers,
Kevo
00E0E_1qyySf3oXKl_600x450.jpg
thumbnail.jpg

(The blue 40 has what appear to be Jackman wheels on it. Would love a set of those. Thread hijack over.)

Until the 77 model tube style tire carrier all the weight was on the hinges. When pulled in tight to the rounded cushion on the sill that helped some on the 77+ style. I can't see this being a good design. Not sure if it was Man-A-Fre who made one that had the spare in the middle and jerry can on either side. That had one rigid piece across that was support on both ends when closed. Complete different stresses on the tub. That made more sense but one off the rear frame is even better when adding a bunch of extra weight. Not a fan of the style picture or that drop hitch on a off road vehicle.

I came across one of these, it has a con-ferr sticker on it. I have not seen any articles on it just a couple pictures. I thought for a minute it was homemade, but I see these pictures around.

View attachment 2041427
That's a photo of the '71 FJ40 tub I bought from @hopdup95 earlier this year. The rack is still installed on the tub in my garage in Nevada. It'll come off when I get ready to sandblast the tub later this year.

way back when I had a 63 40 that had the con fer rack that went all the way across the rear, spare in the center and gas can holder on each side of the tire.
never seen 1 that didn't go all the way across.

looking at the pics again, does the oem tire carrier keep the con fer rack closed??
I don't see a latch mechanism.

looking at the pics again, does the oem tire carrier keep the con fer rack closed??
I don't see a latch mechanism.
I had the same thought. The latch mechanism may be missing on mine, but I won't be able to look into it any further until I'm back in Nevada mid-September. Who knows, maybe I'll keep it on my '71 FJ40 if I can fabricate a latch, clean it up, and strengthen the mounting (inside reinforcement, Toyota hardware, etc.).

The one I have appears to not have a latch, it's more of a fork. Evidently you close both the tire carrier rack and this rack at the same time. The new rack then meshes with the tire carrier rack and the whole works is held in place with the tire carrier latch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom