FJ40 Rear diff thrust washers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can put your finger in the center pin hole to further separate the spacers and make sure they are firm over the c-clips. Installing the 4 pins and springs is easy but only lube with oil in case you have to take them apart. After all the songs are in you need to measure the center gap from several rotations to make sure you are within tolerance. The instructions say it should be between .145 and .170 inches or 3.683 to 4.55 mm. The first time I installed this I had some gaps over 5 mm. So I installed the next size up thrust washers which was 1.80 mm. I probably should have gone up to the 2.00 mm washers as my center gap was still only at 4.30 mm after all my efforts. As pointed out above by another user it appears the tighter the gap is the better the Aussie locker performs. But the owner of Aussie locker told me the max gap could go up to 4.83 mm. She was very helpful and responsive on technical support.

I spent a lot of time getting the old gasket off the cover and rear diff. Especially tricky around the bolts. I probably spent more time getting that all cleaned up than installing the Aussie locker. I used the gasket and some black sealant on both sides and let it dry 24 hours before adding gear oil. On the streets I did notice the ticking sounds on turns. Straight ahead I heard nothing. I squealed the tires on a few slow turns. I think as long as I coasted through turns it was pretty quiet. So I am still figuring out the best driving adjustment style but I am happy to have this locker installed and I can’t wait to test it out. Oh and don’t forget to paint your pumpkin after all that hard work!
69086C0E-8FF4-4A4A-8BE6-31C7F3F8964C.jpeg

Nice job. It won’t take long for you to figure out your driving style. I’ve had one in my cruiser probably over 20 years. I wore the first one out. And am on my second one. ,the teeth will loose there square corners and will start to slip when worn out my first one I set up just like you did. My second one I tired the 2mm shims couldn’t get center pin in. Had to order thinner shims. To get it all back together on the tighter side of the things and it has been flawless for years. I run them front and back behind a v8 and 37 inch tires. I had been using 38.5’s. You will love it off-road.

Wow! Those are some big tires. No wonder you wore out your Aussie. I heard running a locker on the front was a little dicey. I still have 32s and a 2F. It would seem like the locker issues on the front would only be when the hubs are locked and you are in 4WD. Is that correct? But by then you are off-road and then don’t care about any extra noise. Am I thinking correctly?

Yes. Only affects things when hubs locked and in 4x4. And usually your on soft ground so it’s not an issue in the front. I haven’t had any problems with mine up front snow ice mud all been good to me. Only issue with front locker is blowing up your stock birfield joints. I had to upgrade to chromoly birfields. And they seem to be handling the locker fine. I don’t do anything hardcore. Just mostly backcountry roads and such these days
It’s nice to have the lockers for when you need them. Makes everything that much easier.

Wow! Those are some big tires. No wonder you wore out your Aussie. I heard running a locker on the front was a little dicey. I still have 32s and a 2F. It would seem like the locker issues on the front would only be when the hubs are locked and you are in 4WD. Is that correct? But by then you are off-road and then don’t care about any extra noise. Am I thinking correctly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom