FJ40 rear axle shims (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow, I too thought that pic was at full droop, if thats loaded then the d-line is too short. Just sitting static there should be 1" to 1.5" of the shiny part showing. Thats your vib right there. FWIW as far as I know those slip splines are no longer available, if yours is tight, I would correct that before running on it as it will quickly kill the unobtainium slip splines.

Ok, here is an update. Got a front driveshaft from an 81 (81-83 will work) FJ60 for $100 and had it shortened a little bit. Put it on there and no vibration. Very happy with it now.
IMG_5686.png

I’m sure I’m not going to have an accurate length, but I needed 22in spline to spline. The 81 FJ60 ds was about 24in compressed. That’s not going to be close to what you need. I think the post 86 front ds was around 27.5. I could be wrong.

Looks great, but I still wonder about those shims, and how they are oriented. I've always heard to keep the flanges parallel, and certainly, it is very important in the front for steering. On the rear? Just not sure. Mine are opposite of these.

Looks great, but I still wonder about those shims, and how they are oriented. I've always heard to keep the flanges parallel, and certainly, it is very important in the front for steering. On the rear? Just not sure. Mine are opposite of these.

Just found this, so maybe we're both right.

View attachment 3041796
Have you looked on Tom Woods website? They have good tutorials on driveshaft geometry with different setups, and how the ujoints react to misalignment and cause vibrations. Driveline angle setups are different depending on if your using a conventional ujoints or a double cardon joint on one end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom