FJ40 Rear Axle Ring and Pinion Spacer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am pulling apart a Cruiser 3rd member to replace bearings and install a new Ring and pinion to remedy some noises
Pulling it apart unfortunately i found it has the Gov Lock but what has perplexed me more is when i pulled the ring gear off it had a spacer between the gear and the diff. And it is not a one piece spacer but four individual pieces. This diff was equipped with the Gov Lock in the 80s sometime per history of the rig.
my question is, Did they make the gov locks differnt for the deeper gear set and the spacers are needed or is this something weird that was done a while ago.
The gears that are pulled out are 3.70 and will be replaced with the same. I am not excited about the spacers and it might be time to put a once piece spacer in if it is needed.

image0.jpeg

The Gov-Loks were converted to use in a Land Cruiser by using spacers such as those found.

Thanks. It was a Downey product I was just sent the original literature for it. So that answers my question.

Gov-Loks were a GM product adapted to fit Land Cruisers by using the spacers. Cousins but not siblings.

I am curious, IIRC the GM 30 spline is a different pressure angle, were the Gov-Lok's modified with LC spider gears or were axle splines modified or am I thinking too much ?

Are going to stick that thing back in the diff? They don't operate like other lockers or limited slips.

Yes it is going back in. The owner of the rig is fine with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom