FJ40 raw fuel smell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

djcfj40

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi Guys,
I'm sure someone else has had this problem besides me.
I have a 77 FJ40 that's been desmogged and I'm getting a raw fuel smell in the vehicle. Fuel tank is new and not leaking. The fuel/vapor separator normally has a line that exits the body and goes to the vapor canister. My fuel/vapor separator is there but the exit line is blocked off, so it has no way to vent. So I'm figuring it's building pressure and leaking fumes at the point of least resistance. My question is , do I plumb back in the vapor canister and all of the related valving to make it work the factory way ? Do it just put the canister on and let it vent , or do I use a vented cap off of something older Toyota ?
Any advice ????

I had a similar problem happen in our '82. Someone here suggested replacing the filler cap on the tank. Problem solved.

Desmogging doesn’t eliminate the Charcoal Canister or the Separator. Whomever desmogged it, should have left the Canister and the plumbing in place.

The canister will capture the fuel vapors, from the separator and send them to The intake manifold, to be used, rather than vented into the environment.

Were it me, I would do it right... e.g. reinstall the canister and all associated plumbing, check valve and VCV.

Some have simply added a small filter to the end of the separator hose and vented to atmosphere.

But, every little bit helps save the environment.

Last edited:
Desmogging doesn’t eliminate the Charcoal Canister or the Separator. Whomever desmogged it, should have left the Canister and the plumbing in place.

The canister will capture the fuel vapors, from the separator and send them to The intake manifold, to be used, rather than vented into the environment.

Were it me, I would do it right... e.g. reinstall the canister and all associated plumbing, check valve and VSV.

Some have simply added a small filter to the end of the separator hose and vented to atmosphere.

But, every little bit helps save the environment.
Do you know where a ~77 canister hose would Attach to the manifold? Mine currently exits an open tube under the passenger side....I think.

Do you know where a ~77 canister hose would Attach to the manifold? Mine currently exits an open tube under the passenger side....I think.

Looks like I misspoke in my post above... I’ve edited it to say VCV rather than VSV.

I don’t have 44 anymore, so I can’t look... but the schematic below is for a ‘78 Fed Spec.

The center line, off the top of the canister, runs to a hardline, across the firewall... then back to a soft line to the VCV... I could be wrong, but I think it runs from the VCV to a port on the DS of the IM.

I’m pretty sure I am wrong... I don’t think there is a port, for this, on the IM.

I think it runs to a larger port in the DS of the carb insulator. It’s difficult to confirm in the schematic.

if someone can please confirm the termination point, I’ll change it in my posts, above.

Hope I’ve helped more than hindered.

4589A1DE-0182-4794-A164-8D60F4218E44.png

Really appreciate the info. I'll have to look in the rafters and see if I have the parts to put it back to stock. I see what you are talking about with the vacuum line from the canister going to the intake. Seems odd . The picture is super helpful. At least I know where to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom