FJ40 Radiator Extension (Reservoir Runs Out of H2O) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks @ToyotaMatt . Are all your FJ40 stuff sold virtually or you have a physical store shop in Mla where I can visit?

MY SHOP and I are based in the USA Lower 48 states ........

EAST COAST ....

Thats Normal

Thermal Expansion , applies pressure on the RAD cap

at 0.9 it is spec's to the spring will release coolant into the overflow

if your getting more coolant then normal coming out and filling a OEM capacity overflow to max and beyond ?

then I KNOW exactly why this is occurring , there is ONLY one possible reason .

is this your exact or close scenario > going on

I guess I missed to confirm to @ToyotaMatt that your description of my cooling system problem is the closest scenario. Hope it's just 0.9 cap is the solution or replacement of the reservoir. Thanks

I guess I missed to confirm to @ToyotaMatt that your description of my cooling system problem is the closest scenario. Hope it's just 0.9 cap is the solution or replacement of the reservoir. Thanks

well lets REWIND the TIME a second .....

- Your Coolant Overflow bottle is either large enough or too small ?

this a simple fact to establish ....

@73FJ40 , took huge time to lay out all the ROCKET SCIENCE surrounding that topic 🤔

- NOW the CAP topic is indeed completely different , its a MOVING Mechanical part that can indeed fail from bad EPDM seals , spring failure , wrong cap all together etc

- did his TECH determine the overflow you have is too small or the correct needed volume of transfer size ?

- a Cap the proper one is a LOW cost part to install and see

i would start there , unless you have determined your overflow is a issues here too ?

then do both at same time

make sense ?

@ToyotaMatt

The picture of the front of FES74's FJ40 is indicative of a long term overheat situation, regardless of caps or reservoir size. It is very likely this chronic problem cannot be overcome without removing and/or upgrading the arrangement.

1. He has what may be a homemade A/C setup added to his truck. It appears from some of his pictures the plastic fan blades have the trailing edges of the ends of his fan blades clipped back to avoid the A/C compressor. Since the fan tips have the highest velocity, trimming the trailing edge would cause a dramatic reduction in fan performance.

2. The front view of his grille shows an electric fan, an A/C condenser, and then the radiator. Does the electric fan even run (no indication from FES74) and if so, is it pushing air through the condenser, or running backwards? Electric fans running at full speed draw a tremendous amount of electricity. Has the alternator been upgraded to provide extra output?

3. He appears to have a stock radiator, and if so, it's likely undersized for A/C service.
1627174380752.png

@ToyotaMatt

The picture of the front of FES74's FJ40 is indicative of a long term overheat situation, regardless of caps or reservoir size. It is very likely this chronic problem cannot be overcome without removing and/or upgrading the arrangement.

1. He has what may be a homemade A/C setup added to his truck. It appears from some of his pictures the plastic fan blades have the trailing edges of the ends of his fan blades clipped back to avoid the A/C compressor. Since the fan tips have the highest velocity, trimming the trailing edge would cause a dramatic reduction in fan performance.

2. The front view of his grille shows an electric fan, an A/C condenser, and then the radiator. Does the electric fan even run (no indication from FES74) and if so, is it pushing air through the condenser, or running backwards? Electric fans running at full speed draw a tremendous amount of electricity. Has the alternator been upgraded to provide extra output?

3. He appears to have a stock radiator, and if so, it's likely undersized for A/C service.View attachment 2740449

The GHetto cap is a huge red flag to me to start and the lowest cost common denominator to simple throw a oem one on and see what's what ?

- i missed the whole engine bay shots ?

- i am going to take a huge leap here and suggest he replace the Thermostat for no other reason then i would make that step #2 wothout any question at all

- YES , the clipped fan is a HUGE RED FLAG TOO

- i am going to assume this is a DIRECT DRIVE water pump and fan set up right ?

- NO fan clutch ?

what say you @73FJ40

1627176004361.png

well lets REWIND the TIME a second .....

- Your Coolant Overflow bottle is either large enough or too small ?

this a simple fact to establish ....

@73FJ40 , took huge time to lay out all the ROCKET SCIENCE surrounding that topic 🤔

- NOW the CAP topic is indeed completely different , its a MOVING Mechanical part that can indeed fail from bad EPDM seals , spring failure , wrong cap all together etc

- did his TECH determine the overflow you have is too small or the correct needed volume of transfer size ?

- a Cap the proper one is a LOW cost part to install and see

i would start there , unless you have determined your overflow is a issues here too ?

then do both at same time

make sense ?

Definitely will replace the Coolant Overflow Bottle. It is too small. The cap will also replace that coz the current cap that I have may not be the right one for my Rad.

Btw, here's the specs of my current cap:
Cap Type: Safety Lever
Cap Depth (Inch) : 1.48
Filler Neck Inside Diameter (Inch): 1.54
SAE Pressure Range (PSI): 12-16
Shell Diameter (Inch): 2.25
Pressure Rating (PSI) 13
Brand: Motorad ST13

Thanks @ToyotaMatt.

@ToyotaMatt

3. He appears to have a stock radiator, and if so, it's likely undersized for A/C service.View attachment 2740449

Thank you so much @73FJ40 for your keen observation about the current cooling system setup of my truck.

Yes, you are very correct in your observation of the ff items:
1. On Plastic Fan Blades currently being trimmed /clipped back: I thought of that too in the past as might one of the causes of my truck's cooling problem and its very high ambient temperature. Hope I can find a good replacement for that and the one that would not get in contact with AC Compressor.

2. On Electric Fan. Yes, it is still working but I don't see it running at full speed. It is kinda slow actually though it is pushing air thru the condenser. I thought of removing it or replacing a new one. Btw, the current alternator is that of Mits Pajero.

3. The Rad is still a stock one though am not sure really if it is small for a FJ that has an AC coz it has 4 rows. I also thought of replacing it but am still looking for a good one that looks more or less the same with the stock. Would a stainless type of Rad better?

Thanks again for your inputs.

Definitely will replace the Coolant Overflow Bottle. It is too small. The cap will also replace that coz the current cap that I have may not be the right one for my Rad.

Btw, here's the specs of my current cap:
Cap Type: Safety Lever
Cap Depth (Inch) : 1.48
Filler Neck Inside Diameter (Inch): 1.54
SAE Pressure Range (PSI): 12-16
Shell Diameter (Inch): 2.25
Pressure Rating (PSI) 13
Brand: Motorad ST13

Thanks @ToyotaMatt.

THIS is the spec's for my BIG cap , early - 4/86 you need ............

sanseicom_15272-72020_2 - Copy1.jpg

The GHetto cap is a huge red flag to me to start and the lowest cost common denominator to simple throw a oem one on and see what's what ?

- i missed the whole engine bay shots ?

- i am going to take a huge leap here and suggest he replace the Thermostat for no other reason then i would make that step #2 wothout any question at all

- YES , the clipped fan is a HUGE RED FLAG TOO

- i am going to assume this is a DIRECT DRIVE water pump and fan set up right ?

- NO fan clutch ?

what say you @73FJ40

View attachment 2740486

Thanks @ToyotaMatt . I was also thinking of replacing the Thermostat and maybe including the housing coz it is also corroded though will check it thoroughly first.

Yes, this is a Direct Drive Water Pump and Fan Setup and no fan clutch. Thanks

Thanks @ToyotaMatt . I was also thinking of replacing the Thermostat and maybe including the housing coz it is also corroded though will check it thoroughly first.

Yes, this is a Direct Drive Water Pump and Fan Setup and no fan clutch. Thanks

I have too many parts hording problem I think 🧐

I have 3 climate controlled out buildings packed with a life time of toyota
Collecting and unicorn parts hunter mission success

I want you to study these images I Just took right now

I have a unique HJ6# Series Arctic Spec. Diesel engine factory NipponDenso overflow that’s all most double the size of its little brother the other round jar like bottle off a 77 FJ40

it comes with a German Tiger Tank grade mounting bracket kit attached
Black powder coated metal

note the ND cast logo too this is made in japan 🇯🇵 also as well

If your looking for a larger overflow bottle This unicorn 🦄 is your needed part

toyota never made anything remotely close to it’s over size in nature

the smaller square bottle to the rh side is a usa fj60
2F over flow

then my compact unit you already know about

This HJ over flow is close to a USA gallon capacity easy

F4D6D257-9C98-4A82-902D-33912B65B9F6.jpeg
04843FE7-3C85-471D-9F1E-CBFC09D20F07.jpeg
F8281790-E07A-4974-8C59-BD0245593BD5.jpeg
BC052508-B03E-448D-A47B-D594F39D0C97.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: flx
Thank you so much @73FJ40 for your keen observation about the current cooling system setup of my truck.

Yes, you are very correct in your observation of the ff items:
1. On Plastic Fan Blades currently being trimmed /clipped back: I thought of that too in the past as might one of the causes of my truck's cooling problem and its very high ambient temperature. Hope I can find a good replacement for that and the one that would not get in contact with AC Compressor.

2. On Electric Fan. Yes, it is still working but I don't see it running at full speed. It is kinda slow actually though it is pushing air thru the condenser. I thought of removing it or replacing a new one. Btw, the current alternator is that of Mits Pajero.

3. The Rad is still a stock one though am not sure really if it is small for a FJ that has an AC coz it has 4 rows. I also thought of replacing it but am still looking for a good one that looks more or less the same with the stock. Would a stainless type of Rad better?

Thanks again for your inputs.

here is you complete all parts inclusive Thermostat Housing 2 bolt style kit :

i have BOTH 88'C thermostats and 82'C ones as well

obviously you want the 82'C one ..............

1627182961417.png

Bagged and tagged for you Felippe 🙂

I enclosed complimentary OEM toyota mounting fir you as well a always ...........

thank you very much ,

13A8C388-9552-4937-99FC-80E5FA651E82.jpeg
469763AF-BF9C-44E9-A54A-3AB6F1ED5367.jpeg
82EE6B21-E782-490E-8952-3CA42620E2B7.jpeg

DSCN8416.JPG

DSCN8417.JPG

DSCN8419.JPG

DSCN8420.JPG
DSCN8421.JPG

DSCN8426.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread