FJ40 : Question about a 5 speed conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@sogncab that is a definitive test..! It is 11:15 pm, was along day plus my miserable F$^&ing 128Mile commute and I am heading outside to the barn and start my FJ40 for this same test.

You should take some pics of your frt suspension and steering setup. Usually the recommendation is to use a sag box with around 4 1/4 turns. Downey has been suggesting 3 1/2 turns.

This is the kinda stuff I did when I was 20…played with the truck til 2-3 am and got up and went to work the next day but that was 51 years ago….current east coast time is 12:32am.so, I went out and started the FJ40 to find it take 4 turns and maybe 1/16 more to go lock to lock. I could not get as far from the steering when to get the great video you have but 4 1/16 is the count.

here are some photos I took just now:

photo #1 is the steering column pillow block bearing and the top end of the telescoping shaft
phot0 #2 shows only the other side of the telescoping shaft going down to the gearbox on the frame
photo #3 is the top view of the steering gear box
photo #4 is the power steering pump

IMG_0774.jpeg
IMG_0775.jpeg
IMG_0776.jpeg
IMG_0782.jpeg

My 1979 FJ45 has factory power steering so this morning I started it up and with the stock Toyota power steering gearbox has 4 turns lock to lock. It steers fine so possibly my caster is off,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom