For Sale FJ40 project in PA $5500 Gozzard tub SOLD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Clear Pa title in hand, truck and parts located in the Tamaqua PA area. The project was started by John Merkey a well renowned land cruiser mechanic here in PA. It never got completed and the owner passed away. A friend of mine bought it from the widow and in a roundabout way I ended up with it. It's a 75 according to the title VIN is FJ40200662.

Has a brand new unpainted Gozzard tub correctly installed by Merkey. These tubs are extremely strong and well built. Dashboard has been fitted with the switches but not the instrument cluster. Switches are in place in the dash. Fiberglass top is in excellent shape, has a new steel bottom plate all the way around it and the top sides and top have been fitted properly to the tub. The piece that gets riveted to the underside of the front of the FG top and attaches to the front of the WS frame is there, it's in good shape but will need to be riveted or bolted onto the FG roof. Hardtop sides look good there is some bondo on one of them. Nothing other than surface rust that I could see. The ambulance doors have also been fitted and they are in good shape there is some bondo on one of them but the bottoms are fine. The front doors have not been fitted, although the hinges have been firmly attached to the Gozzard tub.

The front fenders look like CCOT pieces, are attached, fit well and are in good shape. The hood is in good shape as are the aprons, bib, and headlight surround. The windshield frame is rust free it's the later style with the wipers on the top. Comes with two front doors neither of which is perfect. Both are serviceable. All door hinges (amby and front), hood hinges, and windshield hinges have been bead blasted and are ready for paint. Gas tank looks to be in excellent shape and gas tank cover is rust free needs to be stripped of old paint and repainted.

Engine is a Chevy V8, mileage unknown. John said it ran well when he drove it into his garage years ago. I believe the code is TYX, anyway my Chiltons book says it's a 4 bolt main 350 with four barrel carburetor from a 77-79 Chevy truck. Has been fitted with an aluminum intake manifold, small Holley 4 barrel, a pair of down drop headers, and is equipped with an HEI ignition. No exhaust system. Water pump, fan, and power steering pump are in place, as is the starter. Bellhousing looks to me to be a Downey or Advance Adapters aluminum piece. I temporarily hooked up a battery for the starter and ignition, poured a bit of gas in the carb and it fired right up. Sounds good (but loud with open headers!!!) and oil looks clean.

Clutch is said to be good and there is a four speed transmission and transfer case in place. Driveshafts are in good shape and are bolted into place. Motor mounts are correctly and solidly mounted, the rear has the typical crossmember that attaches to the rear of the transfer case. Suspension looks to be stock. Radiator looks good and I have bolted it into position in the truck.

Front seats are stock and have been very nicely reupholstered. All front seat mounts have been glass beaded and painted black and all brackets are there. Rear jump seats have been stripped to bare metal and are solid, need to be upholstered. Wiper motor, linkage and cover are there. Door strikes are there, these are getting hard to find. I believe all the amby door hardware is there, as is all the glass including the windshield and the opening vent windows for the hardtop sides. A windshield rubber gasket is included. Roll bar is complete with pads and is solidly mounted in place. Comes with an original console. Instrument cluster is very nice. Both heater pieces are there (under hood and underdash). I saw one defroster hose might be another there. Shifter boots are there. Comes with new aftermarket front turn signals and a nice pair of stock tail lights. The wiring harness is a used one that I gave to John years ago I think it's very serviceable. Glove box door and ash tray are there. The smaller dash pads for the lower part of the dash are there I did not get an upper dash pad.

Brake booster is there and has a single reservoir master cylinder on it (looks like from an FJ60). Clutch slave is in place on the bellhousing and clutch master is there. pedal bucket has been cleaned and painted black.

Frame and axles are very very nice. Front disc brakes. Has a correctly installed Downey brand Saginaw steering box with the proper steering arm going from the pitman arm to the tie rod. Springs look very nice undercarriage has been painted black and looks great. There is a (modified) steering column ready to slip onto the shaft going to the steering box. Column has a pillow block bearing mounted to it's firewall mounting bracket and the steering column has two u-joints.

Lots of brand new OEM Toyota weather stripping is included, all four door weather strips, several of the window runs for the front doors, etc. Lots of smaller parts are there, gas pedal, headlight buckets, adjuster rings and stainless sealed beam retaining rings. Brackets for the WS hold downs are there along with the knurled knobs, defroster ducts for the WS are there. Battery support frame is there and has been stripped and painted, and the door opening stops have been bead blasted.

I'm sure i'm forgetting things but it looked to me like almost everything needed to finish the truck was there. I would say you'd need to get power steering hoses, a battery, and a new exhaust system to finish the truck. I believe the truck is a steal at the firm price of $5500. Feel free to contact me for details best to email me shmukter@pa.metrocast.net Somebody give this thing a good home before I decide to part it out!!!!!

Stumpo 1.jpg
Stumpo 2.jpg
Stumpo 3.jpg
Stumpo seats.jpg

Last edited:
Thank You SO Much Gary!!

Just like the add says. Give me a call if you have any questions.

I will post more pics of this project. I am in love with the Top and the Gozzard Tub!!!
Fiberglass rules!!!

Well, I now own the 40 project. John needed to get it out of his driveway for a variety of reasons. I reworded the listing now that I know a bit more about the project from moving it and all the parts to my place.

Project has been sold. I must say with all the great parts that came with this truck it is a bargain. The sheet metal parts are about as good as you'll find here in the northeast- no rust through on any piece. Lotsa expensive OEM weatherstripping, the engine sounds great, drivetrain intact, disc brakes etc etc etc. Going to a new home here in PA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom