FJ40... progress (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
The 40 project took a step forward today... I FINALLY got the H55 5 speed mounted up to the engine. I had finished rebuilding the transfer case 4 months ago. After getting Woody and Emmett (my sons age 15 and 13) to help me take the Aqualu tub off I cleaned, primed and painted the frame in the neighborhood of the tranny/TC. Then today, with the help of a couple of local non-cruiser guys, we kicked, pushed, tugged and cursed the combo into place!

Started the engine and the outputs turn so I figure I'm good to go.

There is a long way to go to get this back on the road but at least the ball is rolling...
IMG_3479.jpg

Transfer case looks neat and clean. Post some more pics of your work !

Transfer case looks neat and clean. Post some more pics of your work !

Well I feel bad that i didn't powder coat it... ;) or even paint the tranny but I'm having enough trouble getting this much done. If I add in detailing stuff it'll REALLY never get done.

I'm pretty excited to get even this basic work done... it's been a long time coming.

Have fun getting the clutch fork in and the clips on the TO bearing :hillbilly:

Well I got a good amount done today. I removed the rear axles and springs. I torched out the bump stop brackets, the rotted rear corner supports and the rotted rear spring hangers.
IMG_3502.jpg
IMG_3507.jpg
IMG_3509.jpg

The rear hangers had been jury-rigged by some PO. One looks like it was fabbed from scratch... (I got a little over zealous with the torch and cut a bit into the rear bumper... it's ok though because I cam going to be reinforcing all of this as I put it back together... boxing and bracing and replacing as needed.)
IMG_3517.jpg
IMG_3518.jpg
IMG_3515.jpg

It's worth it :)

FJ40fix%20064a.jpg

It's even better when the weather cooperates :steer:

Made some more progress over the last couple of work sessions... wire harness and brake/clutch lines tagged and disconnected from the firewall and the cowl has been removed, frame from the cowl body mounts rearward is all derusted, cleaned up and painted (tube X member just at the rear of the transmission/TC, rear X member/bumper), new parking brake cable is partially installed (converting to floor mounted PB handle and rear axle PB), all brake lines are installed to the rear wheel cylinders.

IMG_0117.jpg
IMG_0114.jpg

I'm getting to a crossroads where I need to make a decision on the color of the 40... the only thing that could potentially stay its current color is the red cowl/firewall I am going to be installing. It is 99% rust free. The only problem is that I am not crazy about having a red 40 :confused:

The fenders are rattle can white, the hood and the fender side skirts I'll be using are currently original white but they need to be cleaned up (a couple of rusty scratches) painted in any case. The 2nd gen aluminum tub is in off-wite/yellow primer that needs to the redone anyway... the hard top is white on the outside and mustard on the inside and IT needs a repaint too...

And no, I'm not too fond of a white 40 either...

So this is my opportunity to make everything one color... that means, in the short term, pulling the switches, gauges and under dash stuff out of the cowl and the other stuff off of the firewall and getting the color of choice started...

I WAS hoping to get this 40 on the road before the cold weather... arrggghhh..

mark

PS Excuse the pics, the cowl is hanging upside down on the wall of my carport/shed...
IMG_0108.jpg
IMG_0110.jpg
IMG_0111.jpg

That cowl looks a whole lot easier to work on hanging upside down!

I think yellow would be a bad color choice too. :hillbilly: Spring green/mint green from the early 40 series would look great.

Looks good so far...

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom