FJ40 Power Steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to find out what the differences are in a late model cruiser to the March '70 FJ40 for the power steering. I know the older FJ did not have the P.S. option, but why can't the later model P.S. pump and bracket be used on the '70? I also know the parts are more costly than an aftermarket as well. If someone can help Thank you in advance.

There may be two things stopping a PS Conversion would be a colomn shift three speed. And if you can fab brackets to hold the colomn in place, it can be done. The other is the colomn and gear box are one piece. You have to change over to a later model colomn, that is seperate from the gear box.

Just do a mini truck setup, jt outfitters offers the parts to perform this swap. Its easier than the scout box swap or other alterternives.

a couple questions for you.
Is your truck a resto, good candidate for resto, or otherwise clean stock truck? If YES, go to a stock steering (I think mini's are pretty bogus when you can do basically an OEM PS box for a little more- see the mini box built inside a FJ40 PS casting idea- 1973-1980 Columns can be found pretty easy and you can use a non Power column as you are fabbing a firewall baseplate).

Will you run tires bigger than 33"? If YES, you should consider Saginaw, Stout, or "FJ60"- which includes FJ80 parts as well.

Is your truck a dedicated wheeling rig? If YES, go to Saginaw, quick, cheap, and many adapters available.

Are you thinking of or actually running a PTO winch? If YES, you cannot use Saginaw (use one of others)

and a comment, unless you have a super clean 1970 steering wheel by some miracle, you will never find one w/o cracks so I would DUMP the entire column from the stock truck and work with anything else- 1973 + you get not only turn signals, but a good horn system and a column mount ignition switch.

I agree with rick. If it's a wheeling rig go saginaw. Use the 3 1/2 inch version instead of the standard 3 1/8 for more steering power at the same pressure. I got mine from a J20. Works wonders with 35s.

Rick ,
fab the firewall base plate (im guessing 1-2" to compensate for the factory ps box length) or do you think cutting the column to the correct length, would be easier? i am looking at cutting my (1970) column off at the bottom and sleeving on the bottom of a late model column. i haven't seen any modded firewall base plates will you please explain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom