FJ40 Power Steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Working on my son's 1974 FJ40.

Had manual steering when it was purchased. I purchased a power steering box from a seller in Utah. It is a Toyota Power Steering box.

Installed it this morning. But, I'm a little perplexed.

When I turn the steering wheel to the left, the wheels turned to the right. Obviously when I turn the steering wheel to the right, the wheels turn to the left.

Looking at the manual box, when I turn the shaft to the left the Pitman arm goes forward. When I turn the shaft to the right, the Pitman arm goes backwards.

On the power steering box, it is exactly opposite.

What do I do? I'm confused.

Wrong box obviously, need more info/ pics? Factory Toyota steering box? Did it bolt up to the 74 pedestal?
It is a factory Toyota power steering box. It bolted up perfectly to the pedestal.

It was one of the ones available in this thread.

Wow. Could it possibly have been rebuilt and assembled incorrectly? I would assume an RHD truck's box would have the pedestal on the other side, so it's not a case of having an RHD box (or some such simple explanation).

Working on my son's 1974 FJ40.

Had manual steering when it was purchased. I purchased a power steering box from a seller in Utah. It is a Toyota Power Steering box.

Installed it this morning. But, I'm a little perplexed.

When I turn the steering wheel to the left, the wheels turned to the right. Obviously when I turn the steering wheel to the right, the wheels turn to the left.

Looking at the manual box, when I turn the shaft to the left the Pitman arm goes forward. When I turn the shaft to the right, the Pitman arm goes backwards.

On the power steering box, it is exactly opposite.

What do I do? I'm confused.

What did the seller have to say?

For those in disbelief, here is the video.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who has experienced this.

Last edited:
Those boxes are from a different toyota model with different steering geometry? Different center arm perhaps? I always thought how would someone accumulate that many 40 ps boxes??

Those boxes are from a different toyota model with different steering geometry? Different center arm perhaps? I always thought how would someone accumulate that many 40 ps boxes??
The seller got in contact with me. The other pumps he has rotate correctly, identical to the manual. So, the one I have was somehow assembled incorrectly. Not sure how that's possible. Maybe someone knows. @OGBeno

The seller is sending me a replacement.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom