FJ40 Power steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 74 fj40 with manual steering and I think I might buy a 78 parts vehicle and it has power steering would i be able to just bolt on the power steering components or would I have to fab anything up?

does your 74 have a rag joint on the steering shaft?. if not you will need one. mounting the pump may be hard(are the apropreate holes in the block?).

I didn't think 78's came with power steering. 79's did. Look to see where the gas tank is located. If it is under the floorboards, it's a 79, under the seat, 78. But to your question, The steering shaft is different on stock powersteering. The pedestal is the same, so you need to use the powersteering gearbox and the steering wheel shafts for a direct boltup. Your engine needs a hole drilled and tapped in the head to fit one of the bolts on the powersteering pump bracket and you need the pulley from the donor also, assuming your still using the siz cylinder. V-8's have there own set of problems

square bezel also makes it a 79. But AFIAK 78 did not have OEM PS........but then again I have seen odder things ;)

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=13336;start=msg123496#msg123496 date=1079653890]
square bezel also makes it a 79. But AFIAK 78 did not have OEM PS........but then again I have seen odder things ;)
[/quote]
78 FJ55's did/could. (as well as A/C)

My '78 didn't come with it stock, but I bolted on a stock PS setup from an '81, I had to shorten the steering shaft because the PS pump is bigger than the stock manual box. You can just make a spacer (for between the floor and steering column) and move your steering column towards the driver an inch.

did your 78 block have the holes for the pump to mount to? my 78 fj55 has no holes on the block like my 82's do.

[quote author=mano002 link=board=1;threadid=13336;start=msg123540#msg123540 date=1079657671]
My '78 didn't come with it stock, but I bolted on a stock PS setup from an '81, I had to shorten the steering shaft because the PS pump is bigger than the stock manual box. You can just make a spacer (for between the floor and steering column) and move your steering column towards the driver an inch.
[/quote]

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=13336;start=msg123517#msg123517 date=1079655678]
78 FJ55's did/could. (as well as A/C)
[/quote]

A/C was availible on FJ55's as early as July 1970. To the best of my knowledge, 79 was the first year for power steering on both fj55 and 40, as the change to the drilled block did not occur until very late 1978('79 model year) so, a "1978" cruiser could have it if it was near the end of the year, ie 11/1978 production date...

I cannot understand why people pay way too much money for a used FJ40/FJ55 p/s box. Go to a TLCA discount toyota dealer, order the $262.80 OEM FJ40/55 P/S box casting, a rebuild kit and find a 79-85 mini-truck p/S box(~$25-50). And make your own FJ40/55 OEM box. you dont have to pay $500+ for a used box, nor do you have to cut the stock steering box perch off the frame(mini-truck box), and you get a rebuilt box...

and the castings are still availible. Might take some time to come in, but they are out there in the system for sure, I have one on the way.

Brett, I agree. I have a new OEM casting in the box(for the other 82) and thats the exactly how I did my 82 fj40 PS. Only item you can't get is the cooler tube, but a trany cooler works just as well if not better.

OEM rebuild kit for a fj40 and mini truck PS are the same part number........:)

[quote author=cruiserbrett link=board=1;threadid=13336;start=msg123901#msg123901 date=1079718704]
A/C was availible on FJ55's as early as July 1970. To the best of my knowledge, 79 was the first year for power steering on both fj55 and 40, as the change to the drilled block did not occur until very late 1978('79 model year) so, a "1978" cruiser could have it if it was near the end of the year, ie 11/1978 production date...

I cannot understand why people pay way too much money for a used FJ40/FJ55 p/s box. Go to a TLCA discount toyota dealer, order the $262.80 OEM FJ40/55 P/S box casting, a rebuild kit and find a 79-85 mini-truck p/S box(~$25-50). And make your own FJ40/55 OEM box. you dont have to pay $500+ for a used box, nor do you have to cut the stock steering box perch off the frame(mini-truck box), and you get a rebuilt box...

and the castings are still availible. Might take some time to come in, but they are out there in the system for sure, I have one on the way.
[/quote]

Actually when I went to look at the cruiser it was dark and I followed steering shaft back an and i swore it was power steering. And the cruiser has like a 8 inch steering wheel one of those tiny ones. But I talked to the guy and it doesnt have ps. (I am buying the cruiser for parts gonna keep the power disc brakes and put them on mine and some other stuff and sell the rest). I do have a sag. box that i bought for like 10 dollars So i guess i have to find some more parts and figure out how to make em work.

This newbie (me) is confused now ??? about the ps conversion. I have an 84 Mini PS gear box. I have a stock '70 oem steering box and bracket. I got the rag joint off of the mini. I'm doing a V8 swap. Are you saying that I can combine the mini box innards with the oem gear box and end up with a PS box mounted on the stock pedestal?

The truck power steering innerds will not fit in a reg case. A fj40 Powersteering case must be purchased from toyota. Then the innerds from the truck are placed in the powersteering case.

correct. and sorry for the confusion

[quote author=Plowboy link=board=1;threadid=13336;start=msg124126#msg124126 date=1079747917]
The truck power steering innerds will not fit in a reg case. A fj40 Powersteering case must be purchased from toyota. Then the innerds from the truck are placed in the powersteering case.
[/quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom