FJ40 Power Steering lines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FEX

Threads
Hi guys,

I need your help please to guide me on which lines to use for my FJ40 power steering.
I have bought an OEM power steering pump and an OEM power steering box for the FJ40. I tried it on a friend's FJ45 and I did like how it. Not planning on going beyond the 235/85 tires anyway.
my problem is that I couldn't find any used power steering lines for the FJ40 neither I know what the fittings should be in order to buy the fittings and custom make the lines.
my questions are:

1-is there a certain power steering lines and hoses that i can use directly without custom building?
2-do I have to use a cooler for the power steering lines?

I would really appreciate any help i can get .. we don't have any OEM power steering installed on any FJ40s where I live (Egypt) to give my some reference.

They didn't come with a cooler per se, but just had a long return tube that ran along the front under the radiator. I wouldn't think there'd be any harm using a cooler in Egypt, but I doubt it's necessary. The low pressure lines are pretty trivial to fabricate. It's the high pressure one that is more difficult. I don't know of a source for it off the shelf, wish I did because I really need one. I have a spare fj62 high pressure line that I might sacrifice if the fittings are the same as my 82.

Reactions: FEX
I don't know what size fittings but ran across this picture and figured it might help regarding your return line.

fj40 power steering.jpg

thank you guys, as Billmc said, the return line should be easy to make, it's the high pressure one that I am concerned about. Main issue is that I am not sure if I can use the high pressure hose from the FJ60, because in Egypt, we have the PS pump on the RH side from the engine and the alternator on the LH side. so the high pressure hose is different in length from the ones sold in the US. That is why I wanted to know the fittings size to custom make one. And it's also quite expensive to buy a used PS high pressure hose just to get the fittings from it.

Hi Fex!
You are not alone facing this problem.
I have been told that you can use lines from other japanese cars of that era, eg. the Mazda 626.
Does it sound realistic?
Greetings from Germany.
Mits

Hi Fex!
You are not alone facing this problem.
I have been told that you can use lines from other japanese cars of that era, eg. the Mazda 626.
Does it sound realistic?
Greetings from Germany.
Mits
Hey Mits, great to know that I am not alone :)
we definitely got some Japanese cars from that era, I will try to find something that fits. Thanks for the tip.
If I can only get my hands on any used hose for few minutes and just get the thread measurement, that would make life a lot easier.

Thanks for sharing @SW20

My order went smoothly and I was wondering if anyone had issues ordering one afterwards.

thank you guys, as Billmc said, the return line should be easy to make, it's the high pressure one that I am concerned about. Main issue is that I am not sure if I can use the high pressure hose from the FJ60, because in Egypt, we have the PS pump on the RH side from the engine and the alternator on the LH side. so the high pressure hose is different in length from the ones sold in the US. That is why I wanted to know the fittings size to custom make one. And it's also quite expensive to buy a used PS high pressure hose just to get the fittings from it.
Hi Fex, I just went out and checked, the fittings on my FJ62 high pressure line are the same thread as on my '82. It's quite long with 2 flex sections so I'm considering cutting bending and flaring one flex section. I'll have a look tomorrow to decide the feasibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom