FJ40 Pics from "Back in the day" (70's, 80's) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mid 90's up to last summer. Love this 40! :)

20170301_160352.jpg

connector-1.jpg

kevin_moonrocks.jpg

23635-1378589246-83a3e9ed74bc9be8de92cc3c7e62d8f2.jpg

IMG_20150427_123421175.jpg

My first 40 back around 1989 loaded up with firewood with my mate Rob standing beside it

View attachment 1492593

We're you filling the back with firewood? About the time I bought my first FJ40 in 1974 a friend bought a brand new a Datsun pickup. We went cutting firewood. Besides be disappointed in the thin single wall bed he barely loaded it and rear springs inverted. Loaded the back of my 40 to roof and the springs showed no signs of flatten out. Bought mine in July 74 (used 68), by January 75 he had sold the Datsun and bought a brand new 75 FJ40. Would have gotten sooner but wanted the new 75. What's the old saying even a blind squirrel gets lucky and finds a new. Had just bought a new Monte Carlo the year before and budget for a 4X4 was small. Flagstaff, AZ was a pretty small town back then and selection for used 4X4s in wasn't much. Looking back now I realize how it had been rode hard and put up wet it's life until then. Once I straighten up the wiring to get the lights works it took years for all the other PO shoddy jobs to show up. For the American market at least the 40 was overbuilt compared to it's competition.:cheers:

new toy.jpg
pismo.jpg
The first picture is of me my wife and son taken in late 1973 in Eureka California. I had just bought the 70 Cruiser less than a week before. How do you like those spiffy whitewalls? I was all of 26 years old then. The next pic is a couple years later at Pismo Beach above Devils Slide. I had done a few things by then like some spokers and Norseman tires for one, or would that be four?. In case you can't tell, the toy is on the far left. (no political connotation intended)

That last picture looks like the beginning of a good joke.... A Land Cruiser a j**p and a Scout go out to a sand dune......

That last picture looks like the beginning of a good joke.... A Land Cruiser a j**p and a Scout go out to a sand dune......
What about the buggy? I guess I am not imaginative enough as I can't come up with a punch line. Sure like to hear how it ends.

Here's the photo that was inside the back cover of Downey catalogs for a zillion years, old school black and white, from back in the day when 31" 10:50's were BIG tires.

$_0-1.JPG
Ok, won't enlarge- - -cripes.

We watch the all the time...remember when it came out on MTV. We have the album and its one of the best.

We all remember this, right? Enjoy

I purchased my first FJ40 in 1972, a used 1971 model. The first owner drove it on a beach trip, 200 miles each way, brought it back and traded it for something more comfortable. I kept it for 8 years and have regretted selling it every since.

The 4WD clubs organized weekend racing events around NC, SC and VA with a constant set of rules and classes. I did this for 2 years and had a ball. Sorry the photos are so bad, I haven't had them scanned yet.

DSCN0340.JPG

Desert Dog recaps for the 100 yd drags and 12.00x15 Monster Mudders for the motorcross.

Pic of my 73 back when I was skinny and had dark hair
This pic is prob 80 or 81. I sold it in 1985 before my 1st son was born
20170722_140722.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom