FJ40 P/S conversion with FJ80 box - pitman arm question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I put the finishing touches on my P/S conversion today and have a question. I'm using an FJ80 steering box and pitman arm (4.25 turns lock to lock). When I have the drag link connected, I'm getting a little under 3 turns lock to lock before hitting the steering stops on the knuckles. Obviously the pitman arm is a bit too long.

I was planning to measure the stock 40 bell crank that was mounted on the front cross member and shorten the pitman arm to match, but I'm not sure that's the right approach. Before I cut anything, figured I'd get some advice from other folks who have done this conversion, and see if there was a consensus on the sector shaft to drag link mount dimension, or a method that I should use to determine the correct length for the pitman arm.

You're overthinking. use the 80 pitman arm. Enjoy life with nice quick-ratio power steering.

You're overthinking. use the 80 pitman arm. Enjoy life with nice quick-ratio power steering.
One problem with that approach.....when I hit the steering stops, it tries to pull the axle to the left or right, depending on which way I'm turning the wheel. I like the quick-ration, and if there's a way to change the internal stops on the box I'd go that route, but I really don't like side loading the axle with the full force of the power steering.

The 80 box has the same sector shaft spline as the 60 and mini truck boxes. Sky makes billet arms that appear a bit shorter than a mini truck arm, and I think the mini truck arms that trail gear and others sell are shorter than the 80 arm (6” center to center).

The 80 box has the same sector shaft spline as the 60 and mini truck boxes. Sky makes billet arms that appear a bit shorter than a mini truck arm, and I think the mini truck arms that trail gear and others sell are shorter than the 80 arm (6” center to center).
Thank you sir! I'll check them out....

One problem with that approach.....when I hit the steering stops, it tries to pull the axle to the left or right, depending on which way I'm turning the wheel. I like the quick-ration, and if there's a way to change the internal stops on the box I'd go that route, but I really don't like side loading the axle with the full force of the power steering.

Have you drove it yet?
FJ60’s and FJ80’s are like this in stock form. It’s fine.

Have you drove it yet?
FJ60’s and FJ80’s are like this in stock form. It’s fine.
Yes, and I can’t really feel it in the wheel when I hit the stop. That’s where my concern comes from. If I could feel it before it started pulling the axle sideways I’d be fine with leaving it, but I don’t want to risk breaking something with it the way it is.

Yes, and I can’t really feel it in the wheel when I hit the stop. That’s where my concern comes from. If I could feel it before it started pulling the axle sideways I’d be fine with leaving it, but I don’t want to risk breaking something with it the way it is.

What’s is your shackle/bushing/spring situation? Is everything good and tight or is it all worn out garbage?

Ive done like five of these in the last two years so just trying to help you out.

So if you say the pitman arm is to long then it sounds like the obvious thing is to find one that is the correct length and see if it will solve the issue for you. The other thing, do you have room to adjust the stops before things are rubbing?

What’s is your shackle/bushing/spring situation? Is everything good and tight or is it all worn out garbage?

Ive done like five of these in the last two years so just trying to help you out.
Springs good, shackles and bushings are shot. That's on my list of things to do next weekend. If you've done a bunch of these conversions and there's no issue with hitting the steering stops before end of travel on the box, I'll leave it as is for the time being. You're right about the quicker ratio steering....that is reallllly nice. :)

So if you say the pitman arm is to long then it sounds like the obvious thing is to find one that is the correct length and see if it will solve the issue for you. The other thing, do you have room to adjust the stops before things are rubbing?
Well, yeah.....I need to find an arm that's the correct length, or cut and weld my existing one. That's why I was asking if anyone already knew the proper length.

And I can get a bit more travel out of the steering stops, but nowhere near enough to account for 1.5 turns of steering wheel travel.

Springs good, shackles and bushings are shot. That's on my list of things to do next weekend. If you've done a bunch of these conversions and there's no issue with hitting the steering stops before end of travel on the box, I'll leave it as is for the time being. You're right about the quicker ratio steering....that is reallllly nice. :)

Not only have I but hundreds before me…
Like I wrote, a 60 has the same length pitman arm/steering gear travel and same knuckle… Toyota designed it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom