fj40 or taco? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
don't really know if this is the right place for this but here goes...i have a nicely modified 2001 tacoma xtracab on 35's geared locked, etc...the space is very limited due to having the wife and a 2y/o..i have a chance to pick up a 76 fj40 that has a chevy 350 professionally installed, 2" shackle lift and 33's...rust free and nice newish paint (smurf blue)...question is..should i get rid of the taco to get this?? what do you all think

don't really know if this is the right place for this but here goes...i have a nicely modified 2001 tacoma xtracab on 35's geared locked, etc...the space is very limited due to having the wife and a 2y/o..i have a chance to pick up a 76 fj40 that has a chevy 350 professionally installed, 2" shackle lift and 33's...rust free and nice newish paint (smurf blue)...question is..should i get rid of the taco to get this?? what do you all think

If it's going to be a daily driver and you want more room, look at an 80:meh:

Going to a 40 or even a 60 you will lose all the "creature comforts" and the relatively good road manners that you have with your Tacoma. I love my 40, but the :princess: will only tolerate riding in it for so long.

An 80 will give you a relatively comfortable vehicle to take trips in and use as a DD, but will still offer a very capable off-road platform. And with the times lately, you could prolly pick up a semi-built 80 for not a lot of scratch

If you were buying it as a second vehicle, then grab it;)

well the lady has a lexus rx300 that we use as the family vehicle so this would be my dd and trail rig..it does have a little more room cause the xtracab is horrible for room

here's some pics of mine

securedownload12.jpg

Damn dude... go with the 40, but that is a sweet Taco!! Tough call. Your choice, but is both an option?

no, it's one or the other, i wish it could be both! i've been looking to get rid of the taco b/c the space is getting way too tight

Just my .02

As was mentioned above, look into the 80 series. Having a family, I think you will be able to enjoy it more than the 40, especially if you plan on adding another little one in the future. Your Taco is really nice and you should be able to get some decent coin for it even though the market sucks right now. There is a nice 80 in the for sale section with factory lockers and 35's for I think somewhere around $6000 right now. Depending on your financial situation and what you get for your Taco, you could afford a very comfortable and capable rig.

edit: it is $6500

https://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-trailers-sale-wanted/260982-1993-fzj80-lots-mods-sale.html

yeah maybe i should look into that...i love my a/c when it reaches 110 degrees down here! anyone got a clean 80 they'd want to swap straight across for my taco??

40 is not the way to go for space...

60 or 80. 80 probably makes the most sense, even if it has the least character. They are hard to beat for a gear/people hauling easy wheeler.

2 very nice rigs...

1. 40 and comfort:hmm:

2. wife might :crybaby:

3. u'll be :steer: :cool:

4. becoz wife :crybaby:

5. u'll end up :bang:

RESULT?
keep both tacoma and 40 :D

I sold my nicely set up 95.5 V6 tacoma reg cab on 33's to pay for my FJ40 back 7-8 years ago. I had a 40 right after graduating high school in 1991 and had always wanted another one. But my tacoma at the time was not my daily driver, and with my 90/mile day commute I would never even consider a 40 as my only vehicle. Mine has always been very reliable, but keep in mind how old they are. They always need something no matter how well they have been maintained. Mine's torn down right now for an engine rebuild. If you can pick up a DD too I would do it otherwise I would probably go for an 80 or a 3rd gen 4Runner. I've been surprised how well my wife's 00 4Runner has done the few times i've take it off road with the factory locker and highway tires.

If you pack light or have a trailer the 40 would do just fine....

If you bring everything but the kitchen sink, get an 80 or keep the tacoma....

I pack fairly light and have JUST enough room for the :princess: and our 90lb dog..

You can also look at the value aspect....

The 40 will sustain or increase in value
The Tacoma is going to continue to drop in value

I've had to think the same way as I'm trying to trade an older collector car for something else......

This obviously isnt the end all of the decision making but just one aspect of it....

If you always wanted a 40 ,get it , but make sure it is tight and in a nice form.
I had a 99 Taco extracab, bought it new, dummest thing I ever did. I won't sell the 40 ever.....unless to buy another one in better condition or maybe a 70 with the right features. Never mind a/c, just take the doors off.
I haven't driven mine in about a year and 1/2 ( under repair right now) and I feel somthing is missing in my life even though I still drive an HJ60 almost daily. I could have bought a nice 80 few months ago, but I really don't care for them gassers.

A 40 is like a wife , everything else is just a GF.

Dude sweet taco!!! Very simple and clean look. Nice looking 40 too. It all comes down to what you plan to do with it and how "ready to go" it is right now. If as we speak it is setup anywhere near the same as your taco, you'll miss all of the sound barrier cushiness but you won't other wise miss a beat. There are lots of folks who use them as DD me included So far what I can see to DD success is, assuming that you are not buying from the original owner, when it was rebuilt was it done right or can you see where the guy cut corners. Second, maintenance, has the rig really been maintained well such that you can pick right up and not miss a beat or do you get the vibe that you 'll need to probe around to find hidden gremlins. I can think of at least one rig on here where the original owner maintenance has been so documented and meticulous that it fits the get in drive category, not many out there like that. Good luck

Just a minute, I thought Toyota is buying Tacos back for top dollar and crushing them;;
Just few months ago they still doing it.

Damn that's a sweet 40 X2 on keeping both

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom