FJ40 or FJ55 Spring Packs for SOA: which is better? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been agonizing about this decision for while now and read up as much as I can. However, it's still not clear to me and I would appreciate some opinions.

Any of you who recognize my handle may realize that a few short weeks ago I was hanging tough by my decision of staying SUA with a MAF shackle reversal and 2.5 OME spring lift. However, after hearing enough people tell me to go SOA while I've got the cruiser torn down this far ('cuz I'll just want to do it later anyway), I decided to ditch the previous idea and go SOA in the front with a shackle reversal and do a 4-link suspension in the rear, both compliments of Proffitt's.

Now, regarding the front SOA...which is better, flipped stock FJ40 springs or stock FJ55 springs? The pros/cons in my mind for each are:

FJ40 spring pros (flipped): Moves the axle forward approx. 3.5" for better approach angle and longer wheelbase. Also, since they're shorter, the rear shackle hanger doesn't need to be moved further down the frame, and the lift of the rig increased accordingly by approximately one inch over the 5.5 inches of lift that the SOA is already providing (the lower the better IMO). Lastly, if the springs are less 'flexy' than FJ55 springs, I'm guessing the rig won't lean quite as much on turns for on road manners.

FJ40 spring cons (flipped): Less flex. Front shock towers, bump stops need to be moved?

FJ55 spring pros: More flex. No need to move shock towers, bump stops.

FJ55 spring cons: Keeps axle in stock location. Rear shackle hanger is moved and lift of rig is increased. Leans more on curves.

So...which is better? I realize this is largely a matter of opinion and preference. Also, it I'm wrong about some of my assumptions above, please let me know.

truggier said:
Forgot to say, this is on my '66 fj40.
Howdy! Where are you located? I have a set of FJ-55 springs available in the Phoenix area. John

Hey John. Go figure, I'm in Arizona too, Camp Verde to be specific. Are the FJ55 springs fronts or rears?

truggier said:
Hey John. Go figure, I'm in Arizona too, Camp Verde to be specific. Are the FJ55 springs fronts or rears?
Howdy! I have both sets. They are the original stockers from my 76 Piggy. They are in fairly good condition. I have a habbit of running with way too much weight onboard, so they did get flattened out some, but they still have some arch to them. I switched to the SOR heavy duty set, and those are holding up a little better. I think they would work just fine on an FJ-40. I had them sold to a guy in Texas last year, but the freight was just way too much for 1500 miles. PM me or reply to tlc76@cox.net of your interested. John

Hi All:

Are you speaking of stock 40 Series front spring versus stock 55 Series front springs? I believe they are about the same length; the FJ55 is known for a short front drive shaft.

If you are speaking of mounting rear springs in the front, the 55 Series rear springs are longer than the 40 Series rear.

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

I guess whichever is better is really your call, you summed up the pros and cons, now which one outweighs the other? So given your potential setup, having that front axle moved up a bit would be nice, especially since you have an SR. But then you might want to match the front and rear suspension a little better, which the 55 springs would do. Or you order a pair of custom length springs, around the length of rear 55 springpacks, with the springpin moved forwards a bit. Oh, decisions.

Thanks to everyone for all of the input so far.

I noticed that in Woody's articles and posts, he mentions several times that it was necessary to lift the front end about an inch to properly accomodate the rear 55 spring packs with the front SOA. Does anyone know if it's really necessary to do this? Couldn't the shackle hanger be located further up in the frame or shorter shackles be used?

truggier said:
Thanks to everyone for all of the input so far.

I noticed that in Woody's articles and posts, he mentions several times that it was necessary to lift the front end about an inch to properly accomodate the rear 55 spring packs with the front SOA. Does anyone know if it's really necessary to do this? Couldn't the shackle hanger be located further up in the frame or shorter shackles be used?

Maybe we are talking about the extension of the front frame horns-1.5" ?

Stock springs seem to do a good job infront, its the backend that does not like to move so much. Inboarding of the rear spring packs or widening the rear axle seems to be the obvious fix for the rear.

Planet_X said:
Maybe we are talking about the extension of the front frame horns-1.5" ?

Stock springs seem to do a good job infront, its the backend that does not like to move so much. Inboarding of the rear spring packs or widening the rear axle seems to be the obvious fix for the rear.

I'm using the Proffitt's kit for the front SOA, which doesn't extend the frame horns. Therefore the rear shackle hanger needs to be located further down the frame and is lower since the frame curves down at this point. To keep the spring level, it then becomes necessary to lower the front fixed hanger about an inch. The net effect is raising the front end an inch over what the SOA provides, which I'm not keen on.

Maybe lowering the front fixed hanger is not necessary...has anyone ever run on front springs where the front and rear spring eyes are not level - the rear spring eye is about an inch lower?

Regarding the rear, I've decided to go with a 4 link for that. I'm pushing back the rear axle as far as it can go without cutting around curve of the fender...should give about a 103" wb.

IMO, there is little reason to keep the spring level...the rear FJ55 packs installed on my front suspension are done similar to the Proffitts kit (and I'm redoing it this winter with their tab) and the rear is thru the frame. I've redone mine 4-5x since the online writeups, and it's definitely low.

The KEY problem is your power steering...a Scout pitman will contact the spring pack on compression, but a mid-bump-stop just ahead of the pitman swing will limit that.

Run GM Sag and it's a non-issue...however, my tie rod would contact the frame even when it was clearing the packs by 1/4"....it's TIGHT, but doable.

Myself I am shooting for keeping the spring hanger side (positive/non shackle side) lower than the shackle (negative side). Factory looks like they (toyota) get close to keeping the springs level.

The SR's I have seen, seem to get the slope of the springs backwards, esp. with the flush spring hanger mount, even with bushing for the shackles up in the frame.

I did order a set (just the front) of SOA specific Alcans w/ eyes reversed/stock measurements. When they show up I'll post anything specific.

The steering is as Woody, states something to account for, myself I could use a longer pitman arm or move axle even farther forward, but this looks pretty odd when running stock fenders.

The orientation of the front spring hanger vs. shackle end up or down is coming from a circle track tech leaflet. Do not really know how much of that information applys to our applications.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom