FJ40 Oil Pressure Gauge (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A couple months back I bought a 1974 FJ40. After playing around with all the electrical components I noticed that the previous owner disconnected the oil pressure gauge. When using the multimeter I was able to get a reading between the disconnected cable that goes to the dashboard and the battery. After reconnecting the cable and starting the engine, the dashboard seems to give a reading within a range. Not knowing much about these cars, is there a reason as to why the previous owner would have disconnect the oil pressure gauge?

A couple months back I bought a 1974 FJ40. After playing around with all the electrical components I noticed that the previous owner disconnected the oil pressure gauge. When using the multimeter I was able to get a reading between the disconnected cable that goes to the dashboard and the battery. After reconnecting the cable and starting the engine, the dashboard seems to give a reading within a range. Not knowing much about these cars, is there a reason as to why the previous owner would have disconnect the oil pressure gauge?

yes ,

- he either did not want the new buyer , you to know its true oil pressure

or

- as he changed the oil the filter fell off the mount and knocked the wire off

or

- this below is the cause ........

you have 3 scenarios to consider ?

report back after you uncover the true cause

rat-wire-1024x668.jpg

Not sure if this is related but I noticed is that the temperature gauge is not working since the oil pressure gauge has been installed.

Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 7.57.40 pm.png

May not have been intentional. In my case the terminal clip simply wore out. I literally had to zip tie it in place.

I ordered a new replacement from @ToyotaMatt along with a new rubber boot for the sending unit. Problem solved. Fact is, these plastic components wear out and become brittle through 50 years (+/-) of use. I’ve started replacing them a little at a time. IE starter, oil sending, alternator, horn etc etc etc.

The sending unit could have taken a dump as well.

***Matt - I nicked the photos off of your webpage...🙄

B1BD83B5-C7BC-4012-9564-008E5741C8F9.jpeg

8CB4D16E-A99A-44A4-A471-080349DA9DBC.jpeg

Last edited:
even though i knew my girl was easy......it still surprises me when i see her dirty bits.

My blood runs cold.
My memory has just been sold.
My angel is the centerfold.

Last edited:
@brian

I just pulled this picture from @ToyotaMatt. This is my Mule with its “top off“ too..!!! I’m starting to think this wasn’t a mere coincidence.

Oh, one last thing, don’t google “Angel in the Centerfold” ^^^ if your Mrs is nearby. I’m still trying to explain that I was just looking for song lyrics and the interweb has no soul......😳

7122EF3C-A273-44A0-ACA8-E21C9FCBA0A6.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom