FJ40 - Oil Pan Gasket Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All -

Replacing the oil pan gasket on my '70 FJ40. I got the oil pan off using the jack between the frame and oil pan bottom (with a block of wood in between). Any tricks on getting the cork gasket off itself? Mine stuck in essentially one piece to the bottom of the engine.

Thanks

A heat gun works wonders. The heat softens up the old gasket and a single-edged razor blade will shave it off cleanly.

I did this a couple months ago and used a plastic gasket scraper knife and Permatex 80645 gasket remover. The block is cast iron and you can scrape carefully using a razor blade and not damage anything. I also used a heat gun in a few spots to soften up the gasket. Mine was rock hard and I assume had not ever been removed since 1972.

That being said, it took me 2 or 3 evenings after work to get it all off, and it sucked the whole time. I had particular difficulty getting the gasket out of the semicircular notch at the front and rear of the engine.

Edit: Spotcruiser beat me to the punch while I was typing out my post!

Make sure you get all of the old gasket out of the corners, if you don't get it all I'll guarantee leaks. The oil pan on my '82 FJ60 leaked there, and it turned out that was the culprit. The PO, or the shop they took it to, wasn't careful enough with the removal.

I used a 7 in 1 tool. Worked great and not sharp enough to dig in to metal.

71O0tV2peML._SL1500_.jpg

3/8" chisel. dont use a hammer

Thanks to all the great responses. Just got done removing the old gasket. Used a heat gun and a gasket scraper from HF. I did not use the heat gun by the bearings so that I would ruin the front/rear main seals. I found a flat head screw driver good for removing that portion of the gasket as it fit better in the groove.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom