FJ40 OEM Power Steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting ready to swap the inards from a mini power steering gear box to a FJ40 OEM casting :). I was looking for any insight on what parts should be replaced while I have it apart. I would guess the seals are a good start, anything else? Has anyone done this, and would have some insight or tips.

As always appreciate the knowledge of this board!

Sniper

Sounds like fun!

Post pics!

Good luck!

-Steve

I didnt do it myself but had it done(by RedHead Gear in Seattle, $200) All that needed to be replaced were the seals, Toyota has a kit for $60.....funny thing.....same part number for a mini truck and a fj40 :) I suppose what needs to be replaced depends on the condition of the mini box.

I LOVE this swap, its by far the slickest way to do OEM PS. As you prolly know the 79+ block has the holes for the PS pump to mount, I used a fj60 PS pump. Used an aftermarket PS hose.....for a 60 or 40.....I forget, it was $30. Small trany cooler was added on the return line.

Damn does it drive SWEET. I replaced the rag joint, center arm, pitman thingy, and all TRE at the same time. Cruiserparts had a good deal on the whole package, I like the Fuji joints better than the 555 brand.....at least they havn't rusted yet!

As far as the shaft, you will need to make one cut and re-drill for the pin.....thats it! :) will need a new boot and something else..........sorry brain fade.....

ALso the heat shield from the manual box bolts right up to the new PS box.

I kinda forget but I think I had to get the bolts for the PS box, I "think' they were longer......but I might be wrong......I know I used new bolts.

I cant thank Rick D enough for turning me onto this swap.....its SWEET. MOney WELL spent

I have another set up ready to go into my other 82 fj40. I can't imagine the casting will be around forever, 79 fj40 PS casting BTW.

If you take pics and write up how the gut swap goes I would love it, as I could be tempted to do the next one my-self.......or not ::) but $200 isn;t that bad to have a box gone thru, turn around with Redhead was less than a day!!!!

John H

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom