1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FJ40 OEM Power Steering

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Ground Up, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Ground Up

Ground Up

I am getting ready to swap the inards from a mini power steering gear box to a FJ40 OEM casting :). I was looking for any insight on what parts should be replaced while I have it apart. I would guess the seals are a good start, anything else? Has anyone done this, and would have some insight or tips.

As always appreciate the knowledge of this board!

Sniper

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Sounds like fun!

Post pics!

Good luck!

-Steve

3. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    I didnt do it myself but had it done(by RedHead Gear in Seattle, $200) All that needed to be replaced were the seals, Toyota has a kit for $60.....funny thing.....same part number for a mini truck and a fj40 :) I suppose what needs to be replaced depends on the condition of the mini box.

I LOVE this swap, its by far the slickest way to do OEM PS. As you prolly know the 79+ block has the holes for the PS pump to mount, I used a fj60 PS pump. Used an aftermarket PS hose.....for a 60 or 40.....I forget, it was $30. Small trany cooler was added on the return line.

Damn does it drive SWEET. I replaced the rag joint, center arm, pitman thingy, and all TRE at the same time. Cruiserparts had a good deal on the whole package, I like the Fuji joints better than the 555 brand.....at least they havn't rusted yet!

As far as the shaft, you will need to make one cut and re-drill for the pin.....thats it! :) will need a new boot and something else..........sorry brain fade.....

ALso the heat shield from the manual box bolts right up to the new PS box.

I kinda forget but I think I had to get the bolts for the PS box, I "think' they were longer......but I might be wrong......I know I used new bolts.

I cant thank Rick D enough for turning me onto this swap.....its SWEET. MOney WELL spent

I have another set up ready to go into my other 82 fj40. I can't imagine the casting will be around forever, 79 fj40 PS casting BTW.

If you take pics and write up how the gut swap goes I would love it, as I could be tempted to do the next one my-self.......or not ::) but $200 isn;t that bad to have a box gone thru, turn around with Redhead was less than a day!!!!

John H