FJ40 OEM or like roll bar (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just picked up my 40 yesterday. New owner, super stoked. Was researching this site for advice on finding and adding a stock (or replica) roll bar to my 72. I’ve figured I’ve got to swap out the longer jumpers for short...where do I find these roll bars? Seems like all posts related to this topic are dated. Where can I go to find this?
thanks!!!!

Welcome to Mud, and congratulations on your 40.

You'll have better luck posting in the 40-series forum; this is the FJ Cruiser forum. A moderator can move it for you.

Also check in the Classifieds forum; people sometimes have stock roll bars they removed to put in a roll cage.

MetalTech in Oregon makes a cage that looks like a stock roll bar with the addition of the front A-pillars and connecting tubulars. Here is a photo of one in mine:

IMG_0861.JPG

thanks 1911. That is a badass Cruiser. Will look at metaltech and the classified section. btw..are those 33" with a ~3" lift? I want to replicate that look on mine.

If you're looking for a cheaper option, I'm pulling the cage from my truck and upgrading to a MetalTech as part of my resto-mod. Has rear OEM and and front hoop/spreader bars installed. Available in Redding....

btw..are those 33" with a ~3" lift? I want to replicate that look on mine.

Yes, exactly. 33x10.5x15 BFG KM3's and Alcan springs 3" lift. Longer than stock shackles for the longer springs.

Like all the green cruisers here. Yeah.... I have an oem roll bar too that I was planning to use but likely won't. Very good condition. I'm nearby in Saratoga. I paid a decent amount for it so Nor_cal_cyclist's may be cheaper. PM me if you are interested.

I went with MetalTech as well. First I bought another cage from a local Mud Member. I cut off the 90° rolled tubes and welded straight tubes for the back. The front two A-pillars were the only thing purchased from MetalTech. As you can see in the photo, I let it sit outside too long. Right now it's all painted and mounted in the truck. Sorry no recent photo's right now...
Enjoy the Madness!!!

cage.jpg

I have an OEM I pulled to put in a MetalTech, but I am in Minnesota. Would love to have someone use it, but the shipping probably wouldn't be worth the hassle. Maybe a mudship?

Most early trucks had dealer installed roll bars, they vary in style and mfg, the later factory bars are ok but I would do a metaltec with the frame tie in kit, or custom, FC fab has built some amazing ones.. People drive like crap today any extra protection is a plus...

I have an OEM I pulled to put in a MetalTech, but I am in Minnesota. Would love to have someone use it, but the shipping probably wouldn't be worth the hassle. Maybe a mudship?
For the right price, it might be worth the drive!

I have an aftermarket roll bar that was installed in my ‘71 when new with long jump seats. I’m selling it if your interested.

I have an aftermarket roll bar that was installed in my ‘71 when new with long jump seats. I’m selling it if your interested.
GRM, do you have a pic? My truck has the long jumpers and I'm trying to figure out how to get a roll bar in this rig that looks like the original OEM bar but keep the longer jumpers.....I've seen one in a google search pic but can't seem to find it. Im pretty sure I'm might have to go custom.

Yes interested to see how it's arranged !
Most of people move the jump seats toward the center of the vehicle but I don't like that.

An idea I had to have a rollbar when the hardtop is off (and something to install a bikini) would be to re-use the hardtop side mounts with a base that runs all along the side where the hardtop mounts are originally bolted. Off course it does not work if you also want to have the rollbar when the hardtop is on for extra security but otherwise it would have the advantage to not use any extra internal space.

For the right price, it might be worth the drive!

6 pack of good beer from your home state and knowing it is getting used would satisfy me. I will say, it appears to have had an additional bar added and later removed. Would need a bit of grinding and then repainting if you wanted it pristine. I can take pictures if you want.

6 pack of good beer from your home state and knowing it is getting used would satisfy me. I will say, it appears to have had an additional bar added and later removed. Would need a bit of grinding and then repainting if you wanted it pristine. I can take pictures if you want.
Where I live in Colorado you can't hardly throw a rock and not hit a brewery! We have 2 just in my little town. I'm a dark beer guy, so I love the stouts... let me know what you lean to, Ales, IPAs, Stouts... mixed bag?
I'd love to see a pic or two. We can make this happen sooner than later.

I would love to this as well. I just picked up a 73 without a roll bar and trying to figure if I should go metal tech or find someone closer to fab one. Thanks

I would love to this as well. I just picked up a 73 without a roll bar and trying to figure if I should go metal tech or find someone closer to fab one. Thanks

Here is the aftermarket roll bar; which I think was installed at man-a-fre in 1972.
4F7D3C41-8304-4320-9EA2-21D0DBE6CCBD.jpeg
20575E74-0AD8-4829-AF95-F6AFCBA31F9F.jpeg

I went with MetalTech as well. First I bought another cage from a local Mud Member. I cut off the 90° rolled tubes and welded straight tubes for the back. The front two A-pillars were the only thing purchased from MetalTech. As you can see in the photo, I let it sit outside too long. Right now it's all painted and mounted in the truck. Sorry no recent photo's right now...
Enjoy the Madness!!!

View attachment 2328804
I am doing this project now.. How did you notch out the metaltech bars to fit nicely onto the rear bar for a clean look/weld?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom