FJ40 new to me!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everybody...
A few months ago I bought an old rusty 40, turns out the engine is shot, plus lots more stuff that is so rusted I can't even work on it. I started adding up the cost of replacing things and building it up into something trail worthy and decided it's better to buy this one which was already done. Plus the PO gave me another engine that needs re-assembly, wheels and tires, and all sorts of parts...

1971 FJ40 California truck, very little rust.
Engine: Chevy 350, rebuilt Q jet carb, rams horn headers, Aluminum radiator, taurus fan
Tranny: SM 420, 7.5:1 first gear, bullet proof
Transfer case: Marlin 4.7:1 low ranger gearset adapter, Toyota mini truck t-case, twin stick
Spring over with stock up front, FJ55 rear
Front axle: 1984 FJ60 axle, 4:10, vented rotors, Profield birfields, Detroit ez locker
Rear axle: Toyota V6 mini truck, 4:10, Lock right new still in the box
Steering: Saginaw steering box, Marlin tie rod and drag link, All pro hi steer arms,
Roll cage
Front "HFS" bumper, winch not included
Tires: 38.5x14.5 Super Swamper SX 60-75% tread
Wheels: Black rock crawlers
download

download

So now I gotta fix up a few things and get it out on the trails... plus figure out what to do with the other one. Katie is ready for it to be gone from the driveway.

Good catch - did you have to go to CA to get it?

Good catch - did you have to go to CA to get it?

Nope, the PO had moved here from CA a few years ago. He's got a bigger family now and needed more room so he's building up a 80.

Hey Bob -

Sounds great! That should be a lot of fun. Now you can keep up with Mark Whatley on those runs into the Alaskan back country! That just gives me one more excuse to get up to Alaska to visit - we have to go see your new truck.

Evan

Yeah, from what I've seen of other's rigs, this thing will fit right in. It has a few issues (like no e-brake) that I need to get going, but mostly ready to go.

If anybody is thinking of coming up, try to make the Cruiser Trek. Evan, your 80 would fit right in. Right now, there's 6 of them getting built up just like yours. Something about being so capable and having room for friends and family.

Probably not this year, but just for future reference - when is the Cruiser Trek? Sometime in the summer, I'm sure...

Your new rig sounds very capable. If all you need is an e-brake, you're in good shape. I bet you're anxious to get it out on the trail, or maybe you already have? Maybe you can post a picture or two when you get a chance - of the rig and the Alaskan scenery.

Evan

Did you get underneath and try to adjust the emergency brake yet? CCW tightens it - which cornfused me at first.

Did you get underneath and try to adjust the emergency brake yet? CCW tightens it - which cornfused me at first.

It's a bit more complicated. The PO or the PPO completely removed the e-brake as part of the rear axle swap. The mechanism is still there on the rear brake drums which are off a V6 mini-truck, and the lever is still in the cab, but nothing in between. I think I need to find a mini-truck in a junk yard and find something to go between...

But I've got starter problems on the 60 right now, so it'll be a few days before I start in on e-brakes...

Probably not this year, but just for future reference - when is the Cruiser Trek? Sometime in the summer, I'm sure...

Your new rig sounds very capable. If all you need is an e-brake, you're in good shape. I bet you're anxious to get it out on the trail, or maybe you already have? Maybe you can post a picture or two when you get a chance - of the rig and the Alaskan scenery.

Evan

I don't know too much about the Cruiser Trek yet, I do know it's in the summer and only done every other year, so not this summer but the next. I think it's a pretty intense preparation, like pre-running the route in small planes, caching fuel, etc...

I haven't been out on the trail yet, this is breakup time of year and everything is pretty much a swamp right now. Not that we couldn't get out and do things, it would be pretty destructive to the trails so it's best to just let things dry out a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom