FJ40 minitruck front disk conversion issue - HELP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did a disk brake conversion on my FJ40 using all '85 Toyota minitruck parts including the locking hubs. The only problem is that I can not seem to pull the birfield out far enough to get the clip on that goes on the very end of the birfield on the inside of the locking hub. Is this a problem anybody has encountered? Will I have problems if I run it without the clip?
Thanks for any help or ideas you can offer!

Re: FJ40 minitruck front disk conversion issue - H

Are you talking about the C-clip in the hub? If so, YES you need it, and i had kinda the same problem with stock hubs, just work at it

Yes, the c-clip in the hub.

question...what birfields, what spindles, what lockouts?

yes, the clip is required, but some variations used a bolt/fender washer.

These were all parts that I pulled off of the same axle from an '85 4x4 minitruck.

then it should work...might need to thread a bolt into the end of the birf with a piece of flat iron as a washer and give 'er a yank to pull it out enuf.

I had to use the bolt and washer with mine. The Birfield did not come out far enough in the hub to puyt the clip on.

BTW I do have Warnd hubs. That may be the difference.

I seem to recall on my 84 mini truck that it used the bolt and fender washer arrangement. It originally had the auto locking hubs that I switched out to manual hubs after ~ 10-12 years of use. The 85 should be the same arrangement.

Assuming I go with the bolt and fender washer (this may have been what came on it anyway...I honestly cant remember) is there anything special I would need to know? Can I assume that the diameter of the washer should be slightly bigger than that of the shaft?

Thanks for all the help!

AV-FJ, did you use new seals, etc.? Check your axle retainer / dust seal (part #31 in the pic below) isn't keeping the wheel hub from sliding all the way in. Happened to me and others.

080b.gif

Dave

I pulled out my 79 to 90 Haynes mini truck book to look at the front hub xploded views. The auto locking hubs have the bolt and washer arrangement, the manual hubs are shown with the snap ring. What I can't remember off hand is whether or not I had to retain the bolt and washer arrangement when I converted the auto locks over to the manual locks. I am thinking that I did. I can pull the hub and check it out tomorrow night. Hmmm, somewhere in the basement are the auto locking hubs I pulled out....if I didn't reuse the bolt and washer, it'll be with those hubs...probably quicker to pull the hub vs. trying to find my old stuff.

"Did you use the original hubs off the drum brakes? If so this is your mistake as the mini truck units are shorter hubs.

Did you use the mini birfs also? If you used all the parts, knuckles out and birfs on your inner axles the clip will fit. Thread a bolt in the end of the birf and pull it out, while installing the clip.

What Spaceghost said and get a good pair of c-clip pliers. It's too much of a pain to deal with the two screwdriver method when you're having fitment problems. Then the pliers go in your trail tool kit 'cause that's where you will appreciate having them. I just got a pair of craftsman "e-clip" pliers for $6 on clearance that work better than my snap-on snap ring multi-adjustable POS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom