FJ40 lover needs some tips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! One more member of the group IH8MUD greets you, I have read many threads about you in the forum, so I think that you, like an expert can help me with some doubts that I have.
I have an FJ40 American model, but I do not know if it is California or federal version; my father have a plate that say under federal norms so my question is: Is it federal version? How can identify it?
This car have been desmogged, but I do not know if all this reparations has been correct, the valve EGR and the bomb air was removed and it does not have BSV valve, and I have to replace the original housing of water because I couldn’t find the same model. Also I realized that my car has the system HAC and the distributor has double advance.
Given this little explanation, I want some advice from you:
That you recommend me which is the carburetor repair kit that applies to this model.
How to repair the advances of the distributor.
The HAC system connection that applies to a desmogged car.
Thanks in advance
Attach video

IMG_20200411_084456498.jpg

Upload the video to YouTube and then post the link to the video here.

Would love to see some additional pics of your cruiser. This appears (to me) to be a Feb 1979 production vehicle. If the original Aisin carb is still installed you can pick up a rebuild kit from any of the usual online suppliers (such as cruiser outfitters and others). In order to fully understand the smog systems, I recommend you get a 1979/80 US Spec Emissions Manual so that you understand the result of losing your BVSV's on the original Thermostat housing as well as other modifications you are thinking about. You can do a proper desmog and either keep the HAC system, or delete it, it's up to you. But a proper functioning HAC system requires the double vacuum advance to be functional. The double advance pods are hard to come by. Another option is to replace the double advancer with a single advancer and delete the HAC system. Good luck.

Like in the picture , in missing vacuum line.
Dizzy double advance does not work.

IMG_20211029_180543904.jpg

IMG_20211029_180116856.jpg

IMG_20211029_175651662.jpg

IMG_20211029_180140727.jpg

IMG_20211029_175949631.jpg

In my FJ40 they told me that they changed the carburetor, but happily the carburetor that came mounted was kept in a box and today I was able to find it.
I have some doubts a carburetor that was installed with code 5J29 (this means 1985 October 29) which repair kit I can buy
some measure of the primary and secondary jets.

note: the previous carburetor has code 9B12 (1979 Feb 12) originally mounted, I also want to rebuild it some repair kit for this model.

@Fazun, I have 300033, just 642 younger than yours. I believe mine is has all of the emissions intact, so if you need any photos let me know.

This may help, 79-80 are some what unique.

make sure to get some caps for the large nipples on the air cleaner housing, it will be sucking unfiltered air though the nipples on the lid.

@Fazun, I have 300033, just 642 younger than yours. I believe mine is has all of the emissions intact, so if you need any photos let me know.
Hello JohnnyFish , your photos would be very helpful, I want to make a responsible desmogg and maintain the HAC. Also if you have any contact with someone who has a distributor with double vacuum advance or double vacuum advance.

This may help, 79-80 are some what unique.

make sure to get some caps for the large nipples on the air cleaner housing, it will be sucking unfiltered air though the nipples on the lid.
I will keep it pending, I have a question for you who have more experience in this matter, what does the term "re-curve the distributor" mean?
you need to do it for a desmogg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom