Fj40 lockers! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I decided to go for the aussie, I hope thay have tem for the 40's, but, I've got a last Q, How does the rear locker affect my gas mileage?

Not only survived, but had a GREAT time doing the CON with a pair of Aussies (and manual steering)....
I believe a non-selectable locker in the front is not that big of a deal.

If I had the money for an ARB, I would use it towards a 27spline super-set from Mr. Bobby Long.
Oh wait, I did :D

I would imagine a rear locker's impact on your milage will be negligible...I did notice a slight pitch to the passenger-side on take-off.

So you live in Equador? I bet your use will be very frequent. I would go ahead and put it in the back, first bec you dont have power steering and second because it will make a difference.
I drive a BJ40 with an Aussie locker in the back. I live in Honduras, C.A. and I tell you, there is a world of a difference. It bangs and scares you the first few times, but then after, its you scaring everyone else. You get to hear the ratcheting also on tight corners, and people approach you and tell you theres something wrong with your rig. You get used to it.

regards,

bj40man

bj40man said:
So you live in Equador? I bet your use will be very frequent. I would go ahead and put it in the back, first bec you dont have power steering and second because it will make a difference.
I drive a BJ40 with an Aussie locker in the back. I live in Honduras, C.A. and I tell you, there is a world of a difference. It bangs and scares you the first few times, but then after, its you scaring everyone else. You get to hear the ratcheting also on tight corners, and people approach you and tell you theres something wrong with your rig. You get used to it.

regards,

bj40man

Gracias! Thanks for your replies!, Ive made a desition, aussie locker will be at my hands Aug 2nd, Yes, They were on backorder, I contacted them and they told me that they had already. One thing I have to say, These guys really know how to treat a client! As soon I get home from my vacations in the states I install them, and give my opinion to everybody!

:) :) :) :) :) :)

locker

Basically it comes down to what your usage will be and what kind of comprimise you are willing to handle (strength, on/offroad manners, $$$)
. In my fj60 I ran a detroit locker for strength and durability, though I was not concerned with the clunking characteristics of a locker as this was not a daily driver. In my daily driver rigs I always run selectable - arb, ox, etc. They are all good products, but the only one available now and anytime in the near future for LC is ARB. If set up properly they are very reliable. If it comes down to $$$ and nothing else, go with a locker like aussie, locrite, or ez locker. They get the job done, but arent as strong as a Detroit or versatile as an ARB.

ringpinion.biz said:
I always run selectable - arb, ox, etc. They are all good products, but the only one available now and anytime in the near future for LC is ARB.

I wonder how I might find out when an OX will be available for the LC. I really like the idea of a cable locker rather than air - it just seems more reliable to me.

Does anyone know when a cable locker (like the OX) will be avaliable for LCs?:confused:

I have an Aussie in the rear and love it.
I was able to walk over stuff that before the locker I would have major traction problems.
I also had some strange braking and acceleration issues. I figured out that if your
rear tires are not inflated to the same pressure, you will shimmy to the
left or right when you accelerate or brake. Now it goes and stops straight.
Go with the Aussie.

mr_manny said:
I believe a non-selectable locker in the front is not that big of a deal.

X2!

The reason that the steering is hard is because the front and rear wheels both have high traction. This means that many times in this situation you don't really need 4wd. You can "deselect" the front autolocker and have normal steering by simply putting the transfer case in 2wd and then put it in 4wd when you need the traction. It's not that much more difficult than hitting the switch for an ARB. It is just a matter of slightly changing your driving style.

mhdsummers said:
I have an Aussie in the rear and love it.
I was able to walk over stuff that before the locker I would have major traction problems.
I also had some strange braking and acceleration issues. I figured out that if your
rear tires are not inflated to the same pressure, you will shimmy to the
left or right when you accelerate or brake. Now it goes and stops straight.
Go with the Aussie.

I put an Aussie in the rear of the 40 about two weeks ago. Ive been pulling to the side when I stop or start. Thanks for the info. I am going to go air up the tires now.

Aussie Locker

jmaddox said:
I put an Aussie in the rear of the 40 about two weeks ago. Ive been pulling to the side when I stop or start. Thanks for the info. I am going to go air up the tires now.

As we point out in the installation manual your tires need to be within 3/8" in circumference of each other for proper locker operation, at any tire pressure. Do not attempt to compensate for an undersized tire by adding pressure to that tire. Pressure needs to be the same on both tires on the axle, and the circumference within the specifications. You will then have a properly operating and handling Aussie Locker.

already installed my aussie lockiers, GREAT product, about the raatcheting sound, allmost dont hear ir!

Never locked my 40 and unless I tried to get stuck, I always seemed to get through most any obstacle.

Year

Hey does anyone know if you can put an aussie locker on a pre 69' cruiser? I looked on a site that listed them for 69' and up. Thanks

HoboFire said:
Hey does anyone know if you can put an aussie locker on a pre 69' cruiser? I looked on a site that listed them for 69' and up. Thanks
if you swtiched the axel shafts

Yes, if i'm not shure the '69 and before thatr came with 6 or 7 spline.

Lockrite USED to have one for the '65-'67, but I'm pretty sure it was discontinued. I bought one from a local guy after looking all over the net for one on a shelf. (Agree - time to upgrade axles).
Pretty sure that aussielocker never made one for the old ten spline axles at all.

i think that you can buy one new from lockrite but its steep($450) the last time i checked. its far chepper to get new axel shafts and a newer lunchbox locker

Aussie_Locker said:
As we point out in the installation manual your tires need to be within 3/8" in circumference of each other for proper locker operation, at any tire pressure. Do not attempt to compensate for an undersized tire by adding pressure to that tire. Pressure needs to be the same on both tires on the axle, and the circumference within the specifications. You will then have a properly operating and handling Aussie Locker.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom