FJ40 Lift questions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 72 fj40 project that I've had for about four years. Things have gotten in the way but looks like I am finally getting back on it. It appears to have some lift with a front shackle reversal but I have no idea how much lift it is. If anyone has a known lift on their 40 that wouldnt mind getting me a measurement I would like to know the distance between the front shock upper and lower mounts to get an idea of what I have. I had 12.50X35's on it when I bought it but the fenders were hacked and it had an atrocious body lift. The build is for my wife and she likes the big tires but I think 12.50X33's would be better for a driver. By the way as it sits I have a 5.3 with 4L60 and split transfer case. I only have about 3" clearance between the oil pan and front differential so it would be nice if there is an option for more lift.

PIC 1.jpg
PIC 2.jpg

PIC 3.jpg
PIC 4.jpg
PIC 5.jpg

It doesn't have a body lift now, first thing I removed. I've replaced pretty much all the sheet metal except for the cowl. Just now getting to mock up all the drive train.

Just extend the bump stops so they hit before the engine does. Unless you’re planning to go dune jumping, you’ll probably be fine.

Just extend the bump stops so they hit before the engine does. Unless you’re planning to go dune jumping, you’ll probably be fine.
Exactly. Even if you lift it, that just means you have to compress the springs more to bang into the differential.

Flipping the front springs around usually moves the axle forward 3 or 4 inches and would also give you the clearance you seek.

Thanks for the advice. I will probably replace the springs with a 4" lift anyway since I don't know what I have and move the bump stops. The build is for my wife so it will likely never see much off roading.

With 4" you will get 5.5" of lift, because of the RS ( it give 1.5" of lift)

I have the same setup with 2.5" on the front and 4" on the rear to keep it level

Or you will need 5" to 6" long shackle on the rear if you get 4" lift spring front and back

My 40 is on 35" tire since 2003 with this setup (skyjacker 2.5 and 4" ) with a little longer than stock shackle , a necessity with these springs

That was a popular setup in late 90's 😎

Screenshot_20220414_184803_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

I have the same setup with the spring reversal, 2.5" on the front and 4" on the rear . 33X12.50-15 tires

DavidGangleFJ40 (3).jpg

dgangle, do you remember what brand springs and where you got them? I like the way yours sits.

My suggestion is to go to a narrower tire and rim package since you now have factory rear fenders without cutouts. You can keep tall tires but not wide tires without risking body damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom