FJ40 Instrument Panel Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone on here resurrected their old FJ40 instrument panel before?

I'm trying to see if I can do just that with my old '65 instrument panel as I have seen they are pretty expensive to replace, at least for a college kid like myself! :D

Here's what it looks like;
IMG_5557_zpsitqk7ya4.jpg

IMG_5558_zpsbvejpk5d.jpg

IMG_5559_zpsqmxmrkkv.jpg

IMG_5560_zps0bknnwjg.jpg

IMG_5561_zpseak3ight.jpg

Any suggestions/resources?

It appears that the panel itself is in good (enough) shape and I'll obviously clean it up and repaint it and all. I also have the front cover glass thing too.

Seems like I just need new components...all the needles are broken...anyone know where I can purchase the components (gauges/meters) seperately?

Or maybe you're just feeling uber generous today and would like to mail me a new one so that we don't have to do all of this problem solving!:lol:

Oh yeah, also, the FJ is not running currently <---#punsfordays) so I can't see whether or not any of the instruments are working right now...I'll have it running soon though! Check out some of my other threads if you're into electrical and engine work, or if you're just a handy helpful person in general! ;)

I look forward to hearing y'all's advice!

*insert catchy cruiser owner slogan (you guys really need to teach me all of the cool sayings that come with the privilege of being an FJ owner!) :D

By the looks of it, yours is too far gone. The individual components to fix yours would cost more than the whole. Bite the bullet.

I'm sure you've already seen, but there are brand new ones on the bay for 266ish with free shipping.

Sent from my iPhone

By the looks of it, yours is too far gone. The individual components to fix yours would cost more than the whole. Bite the bullet.

I'm sure you've already seen, but there are brand new ones on the bay for 266ish with free shipping.

Sent from my iPhone

Wait... I missed the part where you said it wasn't running. My advice... get it running first. Forget about the gauge cluster for now.

Sent from my iPhone

Wait... I missed the part where you said it wasn't running. My advice... get it running first. Forget about the gauge cluster for now.

Sent from my iPhone

Right, but will the functionality of the gauge cluster, specifically the amp meter portion, effect the ignition circuit if it is not working?

So you're not getting power to anything? I'm assuming you've read this?

No power - to anything ! No power - to anything !

Sent from my iPhone

Not necessarily what I'm saying. I haven't actually had much of a chance to try to start the engine as I have been rewiring the whole thing, just finished wiring up the ampmeter and completing the ign circuit tonight. I have to double check some things before I try to start the vehicle, but in the event that it still won't start after I have rewired it, I was curious of whether or not the broken instrument cluster might block the circuit, thus preventing the engine to start.

If the Amp Meter does not work when you try it, just take one Amp meter wire loose and put it on the same terminal as the other one. This bypasses the amp meter, but completes the power circuit.

If this engine hasn't been started in a while and/or you have removed and replaced the distributor, READ THIS!

The distributor is driven by the cam gear AND it drives the oil pump. Failure to get the distributor seated properly when re-installing means the oil pump WILL NOT BE PUMPING OIL! This is not good...

It's highly recommended you get an aftermarket oil pressure gauge installed BEFORE you try starting the engine. Without a oil pressure gauge you won't know if the engine has no oil pressure which leads to bad things happening to it.

Last edited:
(1) Quit working on the rig and concentrate on "grades", you have plenty time for the FJ40 project after you get your "Bachelors".
(2) I totally agree with Colerman's post above, especially if it has a non-Toyota distributor.
(3) I picked up a used gauge cluster with chrome bezel at the swap meet, your's for 150 bucks ($250 to non-student), complete with all gauges and needles, but not tested.

I am with everyone else. Yours is too far gone to restore. You can find a nice used one for 150.00 range. I would go that option. All the new ones you see floating around are in km. Don't get tricked into buying one of those. I would only go that route if you wanted new 12V gauges and the new cover and glass. Otherwise go used. Good luck. Gabe

Save your money and buy one from Racer65. I'd rather rake leaves for a week and buy a new one than deal with that. The only place that belongs is in the trash. Fix the cluster before you get it running.

If the Amp Meter does not work when you try it, just take one Amp meter wire loose and put it on the same terminal as the other one. This bypasses the amp meter, but completes the power circuit.

If this engine hasn't been started in a while and/or you have removed and replaced the distributor, (The distributor is driven by the cam gear AND it drives the oil pump. Failure to get the distributor seated properly means the oil pump IS NOT PUMPING OIL!) then it's highly recommended you get an aftermarket oil pressure gauge installed BEFORE you try starting the engine. Without a oil pressure gauge you won't know if the engine has no oil pressure which leads to bad things happening to it.

Thanks for your input Coolerman!

This is very valuable info to me as I am quite the automotive novice. I have removed my distributor just to see what kind of shape it was in. Everything looked nice and clean and I put it right back in the engine. When I put it in the first time, it didn't fit into the grooves correctly and was standing off of the engine by maybe a 1/4". Last night I was able to make a slight adjustment to it, kind of gently moved it back and forth until it found the grooves and it slid right back in very tightly and flush with the engine mount. I feel pretty confident that it has been seated properly now.

But yeah, the previous owner said that it hasn't been running for a little over two years so I guess I should look into getting that aftermarket oil pressure gauge installed.

I am with everyone else. Yours is too far gone to restore. You can find a nice used one for 150.00 range. I would go that option. All the new ones you see floating around are in km. Don't get tricked into buying one of those. I would only go that route if you wanted new 12V gauges and the new cover and glass. Otherwise go used. Good luck. Gabe

Thanks Gabe! I appreciate your feedback!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom