fj40 in Muscut, Oman (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have just bought this:

1984 FJ40.

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

Body is in good shape and mechanically its in good shape. The steering has a problem with slight ? swaying gap.

welcome, congrats, and come visit me in Qatar :)

Ill be in Muscat towards the end of the year, will have to do a trip up wadi abi ad for old times sake.

what are you going to do about AC... its getting warm. get on top of any rust on that rig ASAP, there some good workshops in ruwi while i was there.

Nice 40 ! Welcome, and are those rear flares steel ?:cheers:

welcome, congrats, and come visit me in Qatar :)

Ill be in Muscat towards the end of the year, will have to do a trip up wadi abi ad for old times sake.

what are you going to do about AC... its getting warm. get on top of any rust on that rig ASAP, there some good workshops in ruwi while i was there.

Thank you and you are welcome to visit anytime.

I don't think the car has any major issues with rust. The underneath of the car is solid as you can see from these pictures:

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

I'll have to solve the steering swaying issue ASAP and attend small leaks in the rear engine oil seal and the oil sum seal. The engine is 3F and doesn't burn oil.

DSC_0109.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

This car is an original gulf import car first registered in Oman. It came with Air conditioning and powersteering too.

Thank you

Cool! Nice rig! Mine's from Oman originally :)

For steering, check out the tie rod ends and U-joints in the steering column and if they're all good then maybe look at re-building or replacing the steering box. It's most likely tie-rod ends though, and I figure some steering play is normal for these things. The difference between my FJ45 and my MX5 is just funny. The amount I turn the wheel in the MX5 to make a 90 degree corner is how much I'm steering to keep the FJ45 in a straight line :)

I don't know of any good parts shops in Oman, but if you need stuff desperately, Aswar spare parts in Al-Dhaid UAE is AMAZING. +97168823967 - ask for a guy called Ansar. They seem to get most of their parts from Oman, so Bahwan should have them but you might struggle to find a parts counter salesman that knows anything about these vehicles. Ansar seems to have all the main part numbers stored in his head.

Hopefully you can find something similar there. Rural areas might be better than in the city.

BTW very jealous of the factory AC... I'm about to order the Vintage Air setup.

Cool! Nice rig! Mine's from Oman originally :)

For steering, check out the tie rod ends and U-joints in the steering column and if they're all good then maybe look at re-building or replacing the steering box. It's most likely tie-rod ends though, and I figure some steering play is normal for these things. The difference between my FJ45 and my MX5 is just funny. The amount I turn the wheel in the MX5 to make a 90 degree corner is how much I'm steering to keep the FJ45 in a straight line :)

I don't know of any good parts shops in Oman, but if you need stuff desperately, Aswar spare parts in Al-Dhaid UAE is AMAZING. +97168823967 - ask for a guy called Ansar. They seem to get most of their parts from Oman, so Bahwan should have them but you might struggle to find a parts counter salesman that knows anything about these vehicles. Ansar seems to have all the main part numbers stored in his head.

Hopefully you can find something similar there. Rural areas might be better than in the city.

Thank you for all the information and I'll get on the steering issue ASAP.

Bahwan has many NOS parts but you need to find the right salesman to get you the parts and usually you get them for a whooping discount too as they are classified by the system as "slow moving".

I bought many parts from them for my other old toyo's:

DSC_0025.jpg

Thank you for all the information and I'll get on the steering issue ASAP.

Bahwan has many NOS parts but you need to find the right salesman to get you the parts and usually you get them for a whooping discount too as they are classified by the system as "slow moving".

DSC_0025.jpg

Do I see a 240z on the far left? What year is that? If it is a 240 you need to share more photos... :bounce: :bounce2::bounce:please

DSC_0025.jpg

Well I certainly wasn't expecting that! Interesting collection! :clap: Do you still have them and what models are they?

Well I certainly wasn't expecting that! Interesting collection! :clap: Do you still have them and what models are they?

Datsun 280z 1976
Celica Supra MK1 1979
Corolla KE31 1978
Celica RA29 1977

Still have them.

Today I managed to find a salvage yard that has 4 FJ45s. two of them are the 1984 model with power steering and factory AC. I bought the whole thing from the steering box through the steering shaft to the steering wheel with the ignition switch and its covers for 120 $. I also bought the whole gearbox with the 4x4 part also for 160$.

Are these expensive ?

Can we get some more pics of the gas can rack on the rear? Thanks

Today I managed to find a salvage yard that has 4 FJ45s. two of them are the 1984 model with power steering and factory AC. I bought the whole thing from the steering box through the steering shaft to the steering wheel with the ignition switch and its covers for 120 $. I also bought the whole gearbox with the 4x4 part also for 160$.

Are these expensive ?

Where's the salvage yard? Would love it if you could show me next time I'm in Muscat. Up here in the UAE, scrap yards only seem to want to sell you the full hulk of a vehicle and aren't really interested in parting it out.

Doesn't seem like a lot of money for what you've got!

Where are you originally from? Appearance plays a factor at salvage yards. I'm british, white skin and blonde hair and I've been quoted more expensive prices in scrap yards than the dealer charges for new parts!

But when you want complete assemblies for some things scrap yards are better than trying to make sure you've got every little piece from the dealer. The gamble is, often hard to know if the part you're buying is any better than the part you have. At least up here anyway - by the time they go to the scrap yards, everything's destroyed.

Particularly on the pick-ups as they tend to have a hard life on the edge of the salt water. I think the Troopies and Short Wheelbases are more common in the salt-free mountains. :)

Can we get some more pics of the gas can rack on the rear? Thanks

Sure.

I'll take some photos and we'll post them here. Yesterday I bought a NOS gas can that was sitting around in a small old Nissan dealer's shop. Its n original Nissan part for the PATROL according to the shop and from the quality of the thing it does look to be original.

paid 25$ for it as m sure the car will need plenty of spare fuel for the extended off-road tracks of Oman.

Where's the salvage yard? Would love it if you could show me next time I'm in Muscat. Up here in the UAE, scrap yards only seem to want to sell you the full hulk of a vehicle and aren't really interested in parting it out.

Doesn't seem like a lot of money for what you've got!

Where are you originally from? Appearance plays a factor at salvage yards. I'm british, white skin and blonde hair and I've been quoted more expensive prices in scrap yards than the dealer charges for new parts!

But when you want complete assemblies for some things scrap yards are better than trying to make sure you've got every little piece from the dealer. The gamble is, often hard to know if the part you're buying is any better than the part you have. At least up here anyway - by the time they go to the scrap yards, everything's destroyed.

Particularly on the pick-ups as they tend to have a hard life on the edge of the salt water. I think the Troopies and Short Wheelbases are more common in the salt-free mountains. :)

The yard is almost mid-way between Muscat and Sohar just off Suwaiq R/A. Am originally Omani from Oman and the owner of the yard was an old Omani man too. He told me about an FJ45 he has that spent its life as a tow-truck and never been used as a fisherman car. He doesnt use it anymore and says it hold temporary cancellation papers and can be re-registered.

He wants 2500$ for it and we agreed that I'll have a look at it today. we'll take pictures of it and we'll post them here for you in case you want to consider it if I wont buy it.

I'll collect the steering and gearbox parts this evening. I decided to buy the steering box and steering parts with the gar because when you re-build the steering or gearbox, you might end up with less then satisfactory results or parts might take long to be found. for these reasons I opted to re-build the parts I bought and not remove my parts unless I have better replacement parts.

I might buy the differential gears for the front and rear too if they are in a good shape just in case i needed them.

I might be coming to Dubai soon, we'll be happy to see your car.

Thank you

Very cool - look forward to seeing the 45!

just came back from the salvage yard. bought these steering components for the 120$:

DSC_0123.jpg

I wanted to buy a spare gearbox but i didn't know which one is the 5 gear box. They had 3 gearboxes and I need advice to identify the correct one:

box1
DSC_0133.jpg

box2
DSC_0136.jpg

box3
DSC_0140.jpg

These 3 hear boxes came from these 3 cars !

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

I went to see the tow truck I mentioned earlier. It spent its entire life as a tow truck and never been used to pull net so the body is pretty much solid with rust at the corners of the roof only. The guys wants 2300$ for it and am thinking of buying it.

DSC_0144.jpg

DSC_0151.jpg

DSC_0145.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom