FJ40 Identifying A T-Case Shaft Leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ackcruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
Need help Identifying this leak and the recommended fix.
1E6E58E4-F744-48EF-9E1D-3E2BC3B86C52.jpeg

Here it is out of the truck.
2F7E75E6-E079-4AC6-9EE2-8F4E5E4889BA.jpeg

Can someone just confirm all that’s needed is new O ring for idler shaft. Here is part number 90301-18026 and link. From there, I’ll search for fix.

Last edited:
Thanks for weighing in. I’ve read several of your posts on the subject. Can I just push shaft out carefully and put a new O ring on (with silicone)?

Thanks for weighing in. I’ve read several of your posts on the subject. Can I just push shaft out carefully and put a new O ring on (with silicone)?
Yes you can. But don't slide it out too far or the thrust washer on the inside can drop down ….

Yes you can. But don't slide it out too far or the thrust washer on the inside can drop down ….
Thanks. Went to order the O ring and Toyota said it is NLA. The part number is 90301-18026. @orangefj45 Do you have one or does anyone know the size/specs so I can find one that will fit?

We have plenty of those O-rings on hand. Send me your info and I'll ship one out to you.

Thanks George. Really appreciate it. I’ll return the favor.

Just received the O ring. Thanks again @orangefj45. My transfer case is still in truck (pic in post #1 is image after my rebuild by restorer) and will attempt to replace the O ring without removal. I’m following the below steps and have a few clarifying questions in yellow.

Removal:
1. Remove 12mm retaining bolt and keeper, making note of distance of shaft protruding out of housing.
2. Home made SST - Using a 15/16 socket with 8mm stud, washer and nut screwed into shaft. Thanks @Coolerman (here is link)
3. Keep frost plug in T-case housing (front of shaft). Is this possible? I do not want to introduce another leak...
4. Slowly tighten nut on stud and back out the shaft just enough to access O ring. To avoid thrust washers falling, or shaft dropping inside of case, does anyone have the distance from rear shaft to O ring? It appears to be about 10mm based on the image I found below.
C03AA49B-A801-47DF-828E-A29D318A51C5.jpeg

5. remove O ring ( if one was installed)

Install:
6. Install new O ring making sure to lubricate before placing on shaft.
7. Using soft hammer or drift, tap shaft back into place (Approx. 10mm)
8. Replace keeper and screw.

This is one of those procedures that comes with risk. Trying to mitigate it vs. overthinking.

Before you replace it is there a chance you have calipers and can post the diameter and thickness of the o-ring? I'm just thinking that could be handy in the future since they'll have to be sourced elsewhere. Good luck!

Just received the O ring. Thanks again @orangefj45. My transfer case is still in truck (pic in post #1 is image after my rebuild by restorer) and will attempt to replace the O ring without removal. I’m following the below steps and have a few clarifying questions in yellow.

Removal:
1. Remove 12mm retaining bolt and keeper, making note of distance of shaft protruding out of housing.
2. Home made SST - Using a 15/16 socket with 8mm stud, washer and nut screwed into shaft. Thanks @Coolerman (here is link)
3. Keep frost plug in T-case housing (front of shaft). Is this possible? I do not want to introduce another leak...
4. Slowly tighten nut on stud and back out the shaft just enough to access O ring. To avoid thrust washers falling, or shaft dropping inside of case, does anyone have the distance from rear shaft to O ring? It appears to be about 10mm based on the image I found below.
View attachment 2335431

5. remove O ring ( if one was installed)

Install:
6. Install new O ring making sure to lubricate before placing on shaft.
7. Using soft hammer or drift, tap shaft back into place (Approx. 10mm)
8. Replace keeper and screw.

This is one of those procedures that comes with risk. Trying to mitigate it vs. overthinking.
Is that the shaft out of your case?
Looks like it's got some pretty serious wear ……… not worth installing that one again.

Before you replace it is there a chance you have calipers and can post the diameter and thickness of the o-ring? I'm just thinking that could be handy in the future since they'll have to be sourced elsewhere. Good luck!
Thanks, man. Just measured it at 20MM diameter and 3MM thickness.
FCDD6B21-61D7-4442-AEFB-E22D7A1F7E9D.jpeg

My transfer case is older version connected to 3 speed. Your leak appears to be the O ring. Be careful when easing out the shaft as you do not want to go too far. A simpler fix with a small leak is to use RTV. Here is link to what I used following O ring replacement. It’s gray silicone so blends in with transfer case. Be sure to tape around the bead so you get a clean look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom