FJ40 Identification help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have any input on my vehicle background. It was sold to me as a 1976 - I still think that’s correct (btw 4-5/76).
But since working with ToyotaMatt we are thinking it’s definitely non/USA spec. Ultimately, Trying to look for correct wiring diagram for myself AND just for informational purposes moving forward as I restore. I had no idea it was non-USA considering is has this sticker inside door frame saying “conforms to USEPA Standards to 1977”

Image.jpeg

Here are my data plate numbers:

FJ40LV-KCJK

FJ40 - 220575

Color: 532 LE11

H42 K052

Image_1.jpeg

Also in regards to my engine (while I’m in the top of figuring this all out) - because ultimately I’m curious...

engine black plate (lower passenger side):
2F 079637

engine block: (front to back)
6 61030 0225

Lower Block:

9A036C7E-C720-4A56-9F1F-335591415DF2.jpeg

A4109DE3-ACE7-48B4-B3EC-FC54E343CD0B.jpeg

52643EFB-95C6-40E9-BAD5-B4449951BF5D.jpeg

6C89A56C-845B-472E-B75B-A066F7C7D9CC.jpeg

You have an H42, which is typically US-spec. Do you have front disk brakes? The 5th digit of your engine number is an 8, not a 3, from what I see.

What non-US elements do you see? I haven't seen any yet.

You have an H42, which is typically US-spec. Do you have front disk brakes? The 5th digit of your engine number is an 8, not a 3, from what I see.

What non-US elements do you see? I haven't seen any yet.
The model number being:
FJ40LV-KCJK

when I was consulting with ToyotaMatt - the KCJK portion of that model number indicated some kind of Canadian that would have been imported at some time (but maybe Matt and I are crossed up) - any help is appreciated

My U.S. spec 5/76 is FJ40223789 and I have the same non catalyst sticker on the door pillar. Based solely on this, yours might be a month or two older than mine.

Why would a 1976 vehicle have a smog sticker that says it conforms to 1977 spec?

Any vehicle 75 and newer needed to meet our CA smog laws is likely why.

only if sold in CA, back then manufacturers made CA specific vehicles, there was federal emissions and CA emissions standards.

You missed the question in my post. A 1976 vehicle would not have a 1977 smog sticker.

guess it would depend on when in 1976 it was made.

The door pillar may not be original to your rig. For a 76, the VIN plate was originally attached to the passenger side fender with screws, but now is attached to the firewall, so perhaps some body parts were replaced. The catalyst sticker on a 76 would have faced inward. Both the door pillar plate and catalyst sticker changed in January 1977 to face outward.
76.JPG

Does your rig have a door pillar plate above the door stop? Does the VIN number on the door pillar plate match the firewall VIN plate, and do they match the frame number?
door pillar.jpg

VIN_LOCATION[1].jpeg

The door pillar may not be original to your rig. For a 76, the VIN plate was originally attached to the passenger side fender with screws, but now is attached to the firewall, so perhaps some body parts were replaced. The catalyst sticker on a 76 would have faced inward. Both the door pillar plate and catalyst sticker changed in January 1977 to face outward.
View attachment 2616589

Does your rig have a door pillar plate above the door stop? Does the VIN number on the door pillar plate match the firewall VIN plate, and do they match the frame number?
View attachment 2616613

View attachment 2616621
Nope - and no vin on front right of frame

is there a rusted area? usually you can clean it or sand it, and numbers will show. usually when i get to a cruiser, there is a small rust patch there. just give it a good cleaning and numbers will show behind the surface rust. some cruisers may have it on the left, so check both sides.

The A pillar tag was for the US market. Started 3/69 here. Not sure the import history in Canada. 1/75 is the start of the model number that included an A at the end for the US. 2/76 is the earliest I find the K for Canadian market. Not having the A pillar is probably correct. If sand the front right section of the frame and do not find the VIN it would either be a replacement frame or someone removed that section and welded in a new piece of medal. Good chance to see signs of the welds if that happen.

Frame is completely unmolested - I think there might be something to the fact that it was Canadian ... maybe they didn’t stamp frames there ... my numbers are consistent with 76 canandian

Frame is completely unmolested - I think there might be something to the fact that it was Canadian ... maybe they didn’t stamp frames there ... my numbers are consistent with 76 canandian

the frames are stamped when the rigs are rolled out of Toyota assembly plants

What is probably likely is a frame fix or frame replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom