FJ40 How to attach front door glass channel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wadesters

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cwcruisers.com
My FJ40 front door glass has separated from the channel. I can get the window back in the channel but what keeps it tight so when you roll up and down the window it does not come free?

Thanks..

DSC00157.JPG

DSC00156.JPG

My FJ40 front door glass has separated from the channel. I can get the window back in the channel but what keeps it tight so when you roll up and down the window it does not come free?

Thanks..

View attachment 1522877

View attachment 1522878

Chris,
When I restored my doors, the original rubber under the metal tracks were brittle, so I bought new rubber gaskets for the lower window track. It wasn't easy to remove the metal track, but I was able to remove them and the rubber gaskets. Clean the metal and installed a new rubber gaskets. I believe friction between the metal lower track, rubber gasket and glass is what holds it all together.

Oh, and how I removed the metal tracks....I turned the glass on it's side, sprayed the glass & rubber with soapy water and took a rubber mallet and beat the tack from one end where the connecting tab is. It wasn't easy, but once it gets moving, the track slides right off.

And to put the metal track back on after cleaning...first, I located the original location of the track, installed the rubber gasket on the edge, then with the glass resting on my shoes, soaped up the gasket, then placed the metal track over the gasket, and with the rubber mallet, I carefully beat the track straight back down onto the rubber gasket.

Well, right or wrong, that is the way I did mine. And I didn't destroy the metal tracks or glass.

Chris,
When I restored my doors, the original rubber under the metal tracks were brittle, so I bought new rubber gaskets for the lower window track. It wasn't easy to remove the metal track, but I was able to remove them and the rubber gaskets. Clean the metal and installed a new rubber gaskets. I believe friction between the metal lower track, rubber gasket and glass is what holds it all together.

Happen to remember the part # for the rubber?

Happen to remember the part # for the rubber?

"Front Door Glass Channel Weatherstrip" part number 68171-990301 (supersedes to 69971-60020)....same number for both right & left doors.

a fat strip of weatherstripping with raised sipes you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes works as well if you don't have the time to wait for the OEM part. Lube up with soapy water and tap on with a rubber mallet or deadblow taking care to maybe use a wood block in between so you don't deform the metal track. That's what worked for me....

Hah! I just read the GA architect's post which was pretty much identical to mine. Sorry bout that .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom