FJ40 Hood Alignment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Having a heck of a time trying to get the hood to line up right on my '74 FJ40. The hood line at the hinges near the windshield looks perfect so I could adjust at those hinges but then that line would wouldn't be aligned. Please see the pictures below and let me know if you have any insight. Thanks.

IMG_3182.JPG

IMG_3183.JPG

IMG_3184.JPG

IMG_3185.JPG

IMG_3186.JPG

Looks obvious to me. Your fenders, aprons and bib are not in good alignment. You will have to loosen up those items and get them for the best fit.

Did you have the entire front end apart? There are several threads on this topic on suggestions to get things lined up. I had a hell of a time with mine after having it all a part. But I didn't have any original body mount points that didn't get modified.

If you didn't have your entire front end off but just the hood to do some engine work it's just a matter of loosening the hinges and shifting it around.

If you had the fender and bib and body off you might have to shimmy the body left or right. Running boards on are a good refrence point to being correct. Then if you used a new body mount kit you want to make sure your front bib has a pad under it. Then you have to get your frnot fenders aligned with the proper gap.

I did the fenders with proper gap first. Got the hood to set nicely on the aprons. Then folded up the bib and slowly bolted things together. I took measurements on everything throughout the process as everything moves.

This was the biggest time suck of my entire project and I still didn't get it 100% but I think only I can tell it isn't perfect.

If you didn't jack with your body mounts you should be able to square it up pretty easy.

I had a similar problem some years ago. Loosened the bolts on fenders and bib pulled up to a sturdy tree and with a come along pulled the front over to where I wanted it and tightened all the bolts. Use some blocks of wood as a buffer and do not hook directly to body and go slow.

Reading this thread I was hoping I could get some info on my situation. Just for starters, this is an earlier model hood on a 73'. It's been off road and had it's share of flexing. I put a new body mount kit on and hood bumpers on the bib. Also, I now have the rubber bumper between the bib mount and the frame. Didn't have that before. Not really worried about the fenders, I know how to adjust them. The hinges are lose but I don't see how I can adjust this kind of gap. Looking for any miracles out there.

hood1.jpg

hood2.jpg

hood4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom