FJ40 Help Identify Dash Pull Knobs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1976 FJ40 Does anyone have an idea of what these cables go too....vent? The front cowl is capped off, I believe it is just for looks, no armature under dash. The cables are NOT cut and are around the carb area (does not mean they belong there). Cable for Choke has been cut and not needed. Please see attached pics....Thanks for your help.

Old throttle for running a PTO maybe?

It has an old warn winch now, which could use some extra juice under heavy load...…..but the PTO makes sense.

One control makes sense...... having two still stumps me. Thank you

History on vehicle is coming back to me. I am going with the PTO throttle control. Previous owner swapped from F2 to F motor and probable damage or abandoned old cable, then installed new one.

Wrong knob for the Ramsey PTO winch. Those are much larger because of the force required to activate the Ramsey PTO unit on the back of the transfer case. Factory PTO was operated by a lever on the transmission hump. Hand throttle was a option after the 69 model year. 69 and earlier had a hand throttle cable knob on the face of the dash. Past 69 only seen the bracket for the throttle cable bolted the bottom of the dash. Then a cable going to the accelerator pedal not the carburator like the earlier years.

Have you followed where the cable on the back goes? Only a couple of screws to remove the ashtray and be able to see it. Best way to learn about these old cruisers is hands on.

Wrong knob for the Ramsey PTO winch. Those are much larger because of the force required to activate the Ramsey PTO unit on the back of the transfer case. Factory PTO was operated by a lever on the transmission hump. Hand throttle was a option after the 69 model year. 69 and earlier had a hand throttle cable knob on the face of the dash. Past 69 only seen the bracket for the throttle cable bolted the bottom of the dash. Then a cable going to the accelerator pedal not the carburator like the earlier years.

Have you followed where the cable on the back goes? Only a couple of screws to remove the ashtray and be able to see it. Best way to learn about these old cruisers is hands on.

the cables are dangling by the carb, one in line with throttle linkage and the other not secured just sitting by the carb, one goes to knob and drivers side one goes to knob by ash tray....they still function so I was able to confirm. I have had a couple warn winches, old to one that's a year old, they all functioned better with the rig running.....but never had I had to adjust throttle. But, my winching has been limited due to my expert technique.. lol

If you say the PO changed from a 2f to f, would they have needed to install a manual choke? Did the 2f have an automatic choke originally?
That and a hand throttle are about the only two reasons you would have cables run to a carby?

If you say the PO changed from a 2f to f, would they have needed to install a manual choke? Did the 2f have an automatic choke originally?
That and a hand throttle are about the only two reasons you would have cables run to a carby?

The 40 series never had a automatic choke on the carburator.

The 40 series never had a automatic choke on the carburator.

Agreed.....

Choke cable abandoned (knob still there), must have been a hand throttle as Marn0 state, I don't know of anything else that would go to carb either beside choke and throttle cable....oh well. Time to remove one of them and put in a old style toggle that operates vintage norcold fridge/freezer. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom