FJ40 Headlights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My buddy called today.He was putting the finishing touches on my '78 FJ40. He was wiring the tail-lights,turnsignals,etc. Nothing seems to be working just right. He said a prong pulled loose from the headlight bulb so I'll need a replacement. Are these stock items at an auto store? Are these halogen,if not can they be upgraded to a halogen bulb? Thanks

dont believe the stock ones are halogen, but you can buy the bulb at walmart, ive put halogen in mine without any problems.

Try searching the database. Type in Halogen or headlights and then go cracy scrolling. This topic was talked about back in July. I think you could find some headlights but I don't know about the exact same circumfrance and stock look? You might have to look and see what the aftermarket J@@p parts have to offer. I'm sure some of you electronic wizzes would have no problem with this one. Just don't forget to put a fuse in there.

http://69.61.14.149/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=3960;start=msg33109#msg33109

the standard headlights are 3prong sealed beam 7inch round i think. They seem to be a standard size. I got replacements for mine for US6dollars each at the local dodgy auto-parts store. They are exeactly the same as standard and give off about 2% more light than standards.

Cheap and nasty, but very common. H4 replacement reflector/lense assbys cost lots more but you can put nice bulbs in them. But if you do that you might want to upgrade the wiring harness to take advantage of them.

sam

They are standard 7" round lights. I saw a link on the LCML, but don't recall the page right now. I can find it when I get home. The prices were great, but some of them are not DOT approved.

SOR sells a very good halogen direct replacement bulb. No special wiring. DOT approved. About $18/bulb.

18 dollars isn't a bad price at all if they are brighter than stock lights.

i paid $9 at walmart for a halogen one that fits in the 60, pretty sure its the same as the 40 bulb :D

I'll have to check that out. I read an article on brighter back up light bulbs a guy used that where brighter than stock. Ever tried that?

atoyot, I've seen the brighter back-up light bulbs melt the lenses if kept on for any amount of time such as using them while hooking up straps, messing in the boat while trailering,etc.

Guys,I just bought a #6024 halogen bulb from Napa. That is the part# their catalog shows for a '78 FJ40. The prongs match fine but I noticed the oem's don't appear to be halogen, so I'm going to spend another $9 for another halogen bulb. I remember upgrading another truck I had years ago to halogen and it was uneventful. Alot brighter light than stock.
Anybody have any problems doing this?

I have run halogens with my unmodified OEM setup for over a year without a problem. Originals not halogens in 71.

Iron_Pig,
You are looking for a H-6024. This is a standard sealed beam headlamp bulb (millions were used in the 70's and 80's by every OEM). Everyone makes them (GE, Philips, Wagoner, Sylvania, etc). You can get these ANYWHERE (K-Mart, Wallmart, any auto parts store, even most hardware stores). You don't need to go to Specter, Man-a-fre, or any of the LC shops unless you want to pay more. They will be less than $10 each.
Even though your vehicle was equipped with incandescent lamps, there is no harm electrically in going with the halogen equivalent (that's what the "H" is above). The package size is identical, there is no difference physically.

If you want to get exotic, you can special order Hella "Vision Plus" lamps. They are a replaceable bulb style lamp and are street legal. They will come with HB3 bulbs. You can get several replacement bulbs (common in Europe) at various wattages in the H4 package. Note though that the H4 bulb has a different pin assignment than the HB3, so you'll have to repin your connectors (not hard to do with a very small screw driver).

Note though if you want to go to a higher wattage, you should use a relay to drive the lamps (the original wiring would be used to turn the relay on). You may want to consider doing that anyway because our vehicles are old.

... I can beat the question more to death if you'd like....

Good Luck

stock fj40, 55, 45, 60 are 7" round sealed beams, made by KOTTO(might be spelled different) same on a fj62(but 4 headlight), good chance the high beams are still the orginals(our 90 fj62 still has the orignals, I replaced lows with Hella)...they don't get used often. I have seen 1/2 dozen 1960 vintage Toyotas(not cruisers) that still have the original KOTO headlights

a direct swap is a sealed beam halogen, they are cheap, and every parts store on the planet has em.

next step is the DOT aproved Hella Vision, better than sealed beam Halogen

next step is a non DOT(off road use only) Hella, IPF or Cibie H-4, these can take higher wattage bulbs and throw out a very nice pattern and are bright. There are a dirrect swap using the stock wiring, IF you don't go over the stock 55/60 wattage. If you run higher then you need to upgrade the wiring harness(make one or buy a premade version) On early fj40's(pre 68 for sure) even if using the 55/60 you MUST upgrade the wiring or it will blow fuses even on low beam.

what do I use on my Cruisers. I prefer the IPF H-4's and a APC(they make ricer crap but the harness is pretty good) wiring harness, it's a plug and play deal. IPF has a harness but it's spendy. Can make your own.

there are 2 versions of the harness. One is Toyota only, use this on fj60's(if you use the other version the highbeam indicator won't light). The other is a 2 headlight H-4 universal harness, use this on fj40,45, 55(if you use the Toyota only on these the low beams won't work)

SO I run H-4 IPF, upgraded harness and stock 55-60 halogen bulbs, this is a HUGE improvement over the sealed beams.

all the above is plug and play and well worth the money, just a bit over $100.

fj62's are a PITA to upgrade the harness do to the H1, H4 light system, no one that I know make or sells an plug and play harness.

John H

as of now the IPFs are not avaible, they are going thru DOT aproval.....which will make them a lesser light I imagine.

Hella H-4's are nice but I still prefer the pattern of the IPF better.

I noticed my sII landy had 1 halogen sealed beam yesterday, so i nicked it and fitted it to my car. The last of my original lights is gone now, it had 2 broken pins, but still worked flawlessly. It has a completely different beam pattern, but is a lot brighter. I fully rewired my own harrness a couple of years ago, so my wiring is excellent and i rate it at >20amps cont. mmm

Sam

I too am using the IPF H-4 conversion reflectors. For the bulbs I got suckered into buying the stupid bright 85/110 watt bulbs. Yeah I know it isn't DOT legal. but nobody has said anything yet. Of note on the 85/110 watt bulbs, they only dray the same amperage as the 55/60 watt bulbs, so no wiring harness modification was needed. The bulbs cost more than the reflectors though :eek: All in all I am satisfied doing the conversion, even with the cost.

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=4522;start=msg34418#msg34418 date=1061657127]
...what do I use on my Cruisers. I prefer the IPF H-4's and a APC(they make ricer crap but the harness is pretty good) wiring harness, it's a plug and play deal. IPF has a harness but it's spendy. Can make your own.

there are 2 versions of the harness. One is Toyota only, use this on fj60's(if you use the other version the highbeam indicator won't light). The other is a 2 headlight H-4 universal harness, use this on fj40,45, 55(if you use the Toyota only on these the low beams won't work)....[/quote]

Do you by chance have a part number for the APC wiring harness, Landpimp? I've seen several bulb kits out there, but haven't readily found a wiring harness that includes the relays & new power source wiring for the new bulbs.

Stock haeadlamps were KOITO.

I don't know if they are related to STANLEY (another Japanese brand). But STANLEY makes RAYBRIG bulbs and bulb housings that will fit a 40 series. These are similar to Hella H4 cases but RAYBRIG's can be had with clear lenses for a cleaner look (though I prefer the more classic lens type).

I echo Landpimp above. I followed his recommendation and went with the relay harness/IPF glass/h4 (55/60w) stuff. The install took maybe an hour and a half of futzing around..... about as plug-n-play as you can get. I put that ribbed (for pleasure) flexible conduit around the (probably tuff enuff already) yellow spaghetti that comes on the harness. 'Followed IPF's headlight alignment instructions and haven't had anyone flash their hi-beams at me yet.

I've never had headlights this nice. The way they light up the sidewalk on the passenger's side is so appreciated in crowded old neighborhoods with kids, dogs, cats.

I only wish my modern Dodge DD had such lights.

IMHO, the best money I've spent on the 40. Power steering usually gets the nod as the best bang-for-the-buck, but lighting is safety.

I got the:

IPF glass at Sam's offroad
http://www.samsoffroad.com/samsoffroadsto/IPF_Lights/IPFLights.htm
(look near bottom of page at 7" round IPF's) $31.95ea = $63.90

Harness at:
http://suvlights.tripod.com/suvlightscom/html/wire-harness.htm
(look at the 9004 harness picture) $45

H4 (55/60w) bulbs ~ $7-$9 at local autodroid store.

$124.90 Total + Shipping

John Sherwood, '79 FJ40
Charlotte, NC - Upstate Cruisers - TLCA

so I spelled it wrong :D

[quote author=OTEP link=board=1;threadid=4522;start=msg47527#msg47527 date=1065352684]
Stock haeadlamps were KOITO.

I don't know if they are related to STANLEY (another Japanese brand). But STANLEY makes RAYBRIG bulbs and bulb housings that will fit a 40 series. These are similar to Hella H4 cases but RAYBRIG's can be had with clear lenses for a cleaner look (though I prefer the more classic lens type).
[/quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom