FJ40 headlights - NEED GUIDANCE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The ole '79 headlights were upgraded somewhere along the way. It looks like the connectors were upgraded/spliced in. They aren't an LED conversion, just a brighter version of the original.

The low beams recently stopped working all together. The headlight lenses look to be one unit (no low beam vs high beam bulbs). The high beams still functions correctly.

My question is...

Is this a wiring issue, can the low beams go out in these enclosed units and the high beams still work?

Where do I go to replaced the entire headlight/lens?

Where should I start if one cannot go out without the entire headlight/lens going out?

They aren't THAT bright, but people flash their lights at me at night when I'm running the high beams. Just looking to get this remedied so I don't feel like a dick driving around at night with my high beams on.

TIA.

The ole '79 headlights were upgraded somewhere along the way. It looks like the connectors were upgraded/spliced in. They aren't an LED conversion, just a brighter version of the original.

The low beams recently stopped working all together. The headlight lenses look to be one unit (no low beam vs high beam bulbs). The high beams still functions correctly.

My question is...

Is this a wiring issue, can the low beams go out in these enclosed units and the high beams still work?

Where do I go to replaced the entire headlight/lens?

Where should I start if one cannot go out without the entire headlight/lens going out?

They aren't THAT bright, but people flash their lights at me at night when I'm running the high beams. Just looking to get this remedied so I don't feel like a dick driving around at night with my high beams on.

TIA.
You might want to consider KOITO Headlight Upgrade The Famed 8110-60P70 Kit.

It's common to blow a high or low separately. If they've been upgraded we need pics of the frt and back side of the bulbs to see what you have. The Toyota/Koito headlight kit is money well spent.

You might want to consider KOITO Headlight Upgrade The Famed 8110-60P70 Kit.

It's common to blow a high or low separately. If they've been upgraded we need pics of the front and back side of the bulbs to see what you have. The Toyota/Koito headlight kit is money well spent.

X100

It comes with wiring, relays, fuses, headlights, and bulbs for less than the halogen headlights would cost elsewhere.

My experience has been that my low beams always go first.

My best guess is that you have some version of sealed beam halogen bulbs. They are brighter than stock incandescent bulbs, but don't have a replaceable inner bulb. My experience has been that the lens pattern if far inferior to the H4 housings.

I have a Toyota/Koito kit waiting to install and the lenses look very similar to the Euro Pattern Hella bulbs that I ran for 25 years. However, since I bought them from a wrecked Mercedes for $20 back in '92, the reflector was starting to oxidize at the bottom (partially from dunking them during a deep water crossing and age).

Where’s the hi/lo switch on a ‘79? If it’s a floor switch you might check connections there, there’s separate hi/lo connections on the switch and it’s a good place for bad things to happen 😂.

It’s not at all out of the ordinary for the low beams to go out while the hi beams are still in working order. You almost always use the low beams a LOT more than the hi beams.

Buy some new bulbs.

Both bulbs not working indicates a prob. with the hi-low switch on the steering column--both bulbs don't blow simultaneously-

Both bulbs not working indicates a prob. with the hi-low switch on the steering column--both bulbs don't blow simultaneously-
True of course…BUT…sometimes one side will burn out & you don’t even notice it. Then a month or 2 goes by and the other one goes…then you notice it.

But you are right, it certainly could be the switch, wiring etc.

Hi/Lo adjustment is on the steering column. Below are images of the L and R headlight wiring. I assume the black plug hanging out on the driver side headlight is the original plug and the red plugs are spliced in upgrades. The guy I acquired the FJ from said the lights had been upgraded at some point...

Based on the solutions discussed does anyone have link to recommended KOITO Headlight Upgrade vs replaced the units with what's already there? Need to weigh the costs so the wife doesn't jump my ass if one is considerably more expensive than the other!

D.jpeg
Light.jpeg
P.jpeg

And discuss...

It appears someone has upgraded your headlights with soomething similar the koito upgrade. If you use the search function using the toyota # referenced previously will show many threads on that upgrade. The # is a Toyota part # and can be purchased from Toyota for around $50.
Both your headlights don't work in low beam? I think that would indicate one of the relays is bad or a bad connection where the blue plug is connected to the stk 3 prong plug. Do you have a test light? 1st unplug that blue/stk plug and see if there is power at the stk plug with the low beams is on. If not the problem is in the stk wiring. Next Unplug the pink plug at the headlight and see if one of the wires has power with the low beams on. 1 wire is a grd(stk is white with blk stripe), 1 for low beam and 1 for high beam. If no power then it's probably one of the relays.

The may also be a set of fuses near where the relays are. 1 for low and 1 for high beam. The relays are the little blk boxes with the blue plugs, 1 for high 1 for low beam.

Could one of the relays gone bad (the one for the low beams)? I haven't seen any aftermarket fuses under the hood with the exception of the fuses for my Warn winch. Since the high beams work it wouldn't be one of the main tube fuses under the dash correct?

Are the relays specific or are they something I can go to a local auto parts store and grab? If I can get them locally, then I will probably just replace them both and make sure they are secure.

Could one of the relays gone bad (the one for the low beams)? I haven't seen any aftermarket fuses under the hood with the exception of the fuses for my Warn winch. Since the high beams work it wouldn't be one of the main tube fuses under the dash correct?

Are the relays specific or are they something I can go to a local auto parts store and grab? If I can get them locally, then I will probably just replace them both and make sure they are secure.
Yes, if both low beam lights are out there's a good possibility its not blown bulbs. 1 relay could be bad. You might be able to buy relays locally, take one with you. It's not a main fuse with the high beams working. With no diagnosis, there's no way to tell what it is. It could be a bad part or connection. Typically aftermarket headlight upgrades run relays and get power to the lights thru the relays from the battery and the headlight switch operates the relays. If there is a battery connection to the headlight wiring harness then there is usually a fuse or circuit breaker to protect the vehicle and light components. Have you looked on cibies' websight for a wiring diagram.

Looking at the 2 blk boxes w/the blue plugs, it appears they are different from each other. The one which the plug slides into the cavity could be a fuse holder. Please understand I'm not familiar with your setup and the pics are limiting. IT maybe you only have 1 relay, idk. Below is a pic of the Toyota kit. The top 2 boxes w/blue are the fuses and below are later model relays. This kit uses 2 fuses and 2 relays, yours maybe different.
20220920_170604.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom