FJ40 hardtop doors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 78 FJ40 came stock with its hardtop. When I took it off last summer I noticed the driver and passenger doors don't come off very readily. I had expected that they would come off like Jeep CJ doors, but despite presistent prodding, the hinge pins on the FJ were not willing to depart the vehicle.

The Hanes manual has very specific instructions for removing the doors on OEM softtop models, but has nothing about removing doors from OEM hardtop models. Is there a trick or technique I'm missing? As far as I can tell, the only way to remove those doors is by unbolting the hinge from the body, which would make it very difficult to install doors with the softtop.

Your hinge pins are just stuck (very common). Get some penetrating oil on them and buy or scrounge a rod that you can use to pound them out from the bottom of the hinge.

Been there and done that...I guess these mofos are just really bound up. Judging from the amount of rust on the rest of the body when I got it that's not all that surprising. I'll douse it daily with some penetrating oil for the next week or so, find a sturdy punch, and go to work with my favorite tool...the BFH.

Thanks for the advice.

It took me about a week to get them out of mine. I sprayed them each morning with PB Blaster. After work I would give it a try. After about 5 days of doing this, one started to budge. After it started moving it actually came out easily, but it was in there very tightly. It didn't appear to have much rust, but there was corrosion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom