Fj40 hard top question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2/1971 FST FJ40. It has a hard top bolted on it. The hard top sides have the single side window. I notice there is a later model with the side window with vent windows. Will these side panels fit on my FJ40? I like the idea of rear vented windows.
Thanks

The hardtop from ~77 or 78 + has the vent windows should fit your truck. However, these tops used ambulance doors, which would not be directly compatible with your tub. Spector off road I believe have a vent window that you can use to replace your existing side window. This would be your path of least resistance if you already have a hardtop that works for you.

the sides will bolt on just use the rear top support from your old top if you have the liftgate but you will have to drill and mount the liftgate hardware to the newer sides

For a lot less work than shelfboy1 described, you can keep your existing panels and just buy a sliding window kit from SOR. After you've opened up the can of worms it takes JUST TO REMOVE THE ROOF PANEL, you will realize that the sliding windows are cheap by comparison.

Best

Mark A.

www.marksoffroad.net

Short answer yes... The thread in my signature line has the long answer including pics. They help to keep the rear windows clear if it's raining and the temperature down if it's hot... I've started a few threads on the subject.

You could also weld in the crossbar and install the newer kick out windows into your current top. I've cut one out to install older windows... only read about doing the reverse.

One thing to be aware of is that earlier stock bars had a wider Radius and the rear corner interferes with the latch. Your 71 wouldn't have one... unless one has been installed (then I'd need to see a picture to be able to tell you).

Thank you very much. The SOR option sounds perfect. I will do that.
Thanks again
Rick

I added vent windows to a early hard top more then thirty years ago. Bought most the pieces off of a wreck 78. Had to buy the side glass because they were broken. One of the better upgrades I did. Cheaper then SOR sliding windows and didn't need to take the top apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom