FJ40 Gear Reduction Starter Ground Location? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ackcruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
I’m preparing to install my restored 1976 US spec harness into a South American truck. It appears my starter is the gear reduction type Toyota Part #28100-60070 shown below. In the image below (A), the female connector Part# PLF1P6.3W (female connector) from @Coolerman wiring store is not connected to the starter. My guess is it broke off when engine was removed. Has anyone grounded this type of starter to the frame? I know the frame location but need to know where on the starter body to ground.

IMAGE A:
EF08616A-2038-4025-B564-827D5D78FFEC.jpeg

IMAGE B:
66A57CD3-7532-472D-AFE4-F6E93EC9F5EB.jpeg

this is what the female connector should look like on the GR starter.
IMAGE C:
53356A9F-E204-4F32-A0E2-D6659B3FFA0F.jpeg

I’m preparing to install my restored 1976 US spec harness into a South American truck. It appears my starter is the gear reduction type Toyota Part #28100-60070 shown below. In the image below (A), the female connector Part# PLF1P6.3W (female connector) from @Coolerman wiring store is not connected to the starter. My guess is it broke off when engine was removed. Has anyone grounded this type of starter to the frame? I know the frame location but need to know where on the starter body to ground.

IMAGE A:
View attachment 2206715
IMAGE B:
View attachment 2206718
this is what the female connector should look like on the GR starter.
IMAGE C:
View attachment 2206721

Hello Paul ,

recently i have spent more then a dozen hours diving deep into this topic ,

i can report the facts i have unearthed thus far :

- i will first post this parts diagram , this should help explain much in advance of my brief TECH spec's DATA ........

1581294275434.png

- Part# 90980-07003 , Cable, Bond , No. 1

- was factory installed starting in at least 1969 , or prior ? all the way to a
10/83 USA spec. FJ40 , also standard on all USA spec. FJ60 up till 9/87

- toyota dealership EPC now only goes back to 1969 , so facts are blurry before then

- first it was a MESH strap much a CHEAP DeTROIT type fire wall to hood ground strap

- then in 1972 the part # changed and it was a setcion of #6 Gauge NEG. -
OEM TOYOTA YAZAKI Ground battery cable , black w/ Yellow tracer stripe

- Please see below for a image of my Original Live Specimen , i have have in my personal collection ..........

- I have Recently Reproduced this very real and needed parts solution in a KIT form with ALL New needed mounting hardware ...

- Cable Bond No.1 , Bolts to the Lower Starter Bolt , then curves up to the top frame rail , using a special OEM Spring washer to grip the Lead Lug and allow solid NEG. Current Flow to occur directly to the starter as i need to have

- in My ,Kit I have used Canary Yellow heat shrink to look similar the black w/ yellow tracer stripe original toyota ground side cable

- where as i use simply new OEM starter side hardware , i have decided
to EXCEED OEM TOYOTA spec. 's when ever and where ever possible

- a 50mm stainless steel JIS SEMS Bolt , i have spec,d for the vertical frame rail top plate install of the Ring Terminal end of cable Bond No. 1

- i have upgraded both Ring terminals from TOYOTA's original simple brass ones , to marine Grade Tinned Copper ones

- below are My Reproduction Cable Bond No. 1 Kits, also the original one too ..
for cross comparison reference purposes

Last edited:
note oringinal to RH side in first photo............

DSCN2202.JPG
DSCN2204.JPG
DSCN2205.JPG
DSCN2206.JPG
DSCN2207.JPG

Thanks @ToyotaMatt...as discussed the cable bond connects to the lower starter bolt as seen in Image A above and then to frame rail. I look forward to receiving the part and will post pictures after install.

Thanks @73FJ40 I will make sure to also install the negative battery terminal to frame. Right now, the negative battery terminal is grounded to engine block. Also, when installing both to frame, I will need to sand the powder coated frame using my Dremel tool to insure proper contact.

I was under the impression the negative battery cable is grounded to the block.
?

Just finished installing cable bond # 1 from the gear reduction starter to the top of frame rail. In addition, installed two fuel tank grommets. The bond kit @ToyotaMatt makes is very high quality and fits perfectly. The hardware is stainless and the kit came with the diagram along with some additional useful literature. When mounting this, be sure to attach bolt to the firewall side brake line mounting bracket as shown below. The cable bends perfectly up and over the brake line with just enough grace. I’m happy with the install and appreciative of the quick service and support of ToyotaMatt.

B7B1E02D-8CB9-4F45-A7BA-96591F09CCCE.jpeg

704D7716-BFD1-4762-B9CB-B22AEC4FD25A.jpeg

7D97C5B4-9702-44C0-8C30-F19668425EB8.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom