Wanted FJ40 Gas Tank needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found a rusty leak in bottom of my gas tank when refilling it after dismantling the interior. Not such a good thing. Anyone have one to sell or a line on a good place to pick up an aftermarket/used one in or somewhat near the Los Angeles area. It sux cause I was ready to put it all back together. Grrrrrr...

Also - If anyone knows what years work for a 1974 (emission not an issue), please fill me in. Looking to learn more.

Thanks as always!

PMed you with some photos, it depends on if you have a return line, and evaporator system or not.

Warren.

I have a gas tank from a 1975 w/sheild. How much is it worth? Its in good shape.

[quote author=brandxmgmt link=board=6;threadid=16714;start=msg161039#msg161039 date=1085111891]
Also - If anyone knows what years work for a 1974 (emission not an issue), please fill me in. Looking to learn more.

Thanks as always!
[/quote]

08/73 40 series tanks and earlier, to 1966 were interchangeable, for the most part, the only limiting issue would be the vent/evaporative emission ports, that depending on the year and month, could pose an issue on a vehicle trying to remain "all original".. These were 18 gallon tanks.

09/73 40 series to 08/78- These were 16 gallon tanks, and used a different sending unit for the fuel gauge, and had a couple different configurations over the years for the evap system.

09/78- 84 40 series had externally mounted 22 gallon tanks, that are not anything similar to the 18 and 16 gallon units, and are a funky molded component, that follows the newer tub body lines.

Good luck!

-Steve

I have a tank from a 75 that is in decent shape. I would like to go with a Fuel cell (i cut my floor to do a d-train lift) so if you are interested let me know. I can send you some pictures of it. I did have to repair one pin hole in the side last year but other than that the tank is solid. I also have all the sheilds ect to go over the tank if you need those also. I need to get at least 175.00 for the tank in order to get a fuel cell.

Stew

You can buy a new poly tank for around 160. I got mine through rocky mt cruisers.

cruzer said:
I have a tank from a 75 that is in decent shape. I would like to go with a Fuel cell (i cut my floor to do a d-train lift) so if you are interested let me know. I can send you some pictures of it. I did have to repair one pin hole in the side last year but other than that the tank is solid. I also have all the sheilds ect to go over the tank if you need those also. I need to get at least 175.00 for the tank in order to get a fuel cell.

Stew

$175 for a used tank with repaired pin holes? A new one from Specter is only $321, so a good TLCA discount will probably get you in the mid $200 range for a brand new tank.

2 years later.... still looking for a gas tank. Been back and forth b/w here and Nashville so I have not had time to focus on this.. but I gotta get it done. Anyone have a used one near LA?
Thanks, E.

I bought one from CruiserDan for my 76 for $242 - around $300 with the sending unit shipped to my door. I have the old one - it was in the 40 when I bought sitting outside with no gas cap - it has minor rust inside but can probably be lined and work well.

i have a good used one out of a 69 fj40 in stockton ca. might be able to get it to the L.A. area (unless you're in louisiana) in 3 weeks.

ps: don't buy a poly tank. it's extremely rare to get them to seal up properly so you don't smell gas fumes all the time......

I also have a tank for .....?

How about $50, everyone tells me sell things too cheaply anyway. Georg is closer and you can always trust his opinion so I too would stay away from Poly. I am going to a rear tank and need the tank space for 2 batteries. Cant mail it unless I rinse it out for a couple of hours, never have the time for that.....Try everyone else first.

i guess that all depends on what your time is worth to you. between the 3 repairs, how many hours have you invested in repairing the ailing tank?

all you need to do is 1) Drain the tank & take the tank out, which you have to do anyway, 2) Let the tank air out for about an hour, 3) sand the pin hole leak, 4) apply the patch (it's like a puddy) follow the patch instructions, 5) next day put back in. All done ! Just don't have the patch stick out too much, a smooth flat patch iis all you need.
Johnny C

Findley hooked me up. Hope it works out and expec t it to. He seems a real atand up guy. Thanks again I8HMUD for a great hook up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom