fj40 gas tank leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the summer, my gas tank, if filled with gas, will leak gas where the cap is. Because of this reason, I can only fill my tank up halfway, especially when it is really hot. One day I realized that my driveway was doused in gas! Does anyone else have this problem?

Sure, the cap is vented on pre 72 ish . Gas expandes as it heats up. most old rides did it.

so, is there any way to fix this, short of replacing the tank?

Don't top it off unless I'm going to drive aways right after. Sorry don't know anyother answer.

alright, thanks!!

there should be a vent to the tank (not sure on early ones) maybe its pluged ? if all else fails drill a small hole (as small as possible) in the center of the cap or buy a new vented cap ?

Weld it :flipoff2:

'69 FJ55- The kid's future car

Trust me, it is a rust bucket beyond belief! My husband and i picked it up 3 hours away from our house (while i was pregnant), and as my husband is driving the '55 back, he's wondering why he is slowly falling. Turns out that there is no floor whatsoever on the drivers side. We're talking Barney Rubble style here! Just glad he didn't leave his a** on the highway!

if all else fails drill a small hole (as small as possible) in the center of the cap or buy a new vented cap ?

thanks! i'll give the new cap a try for sure. the seal around mine is hard as a rock anyway! not good.......

A lot of underground tanks are cold (at the gas station) and the gasoline just gets bigger in a hot car. I stop filling the first time the hose clicks off.

Vented caps are important on these rigs, but they won't stop the gas expansion issue. If the gas cap isn't vented, the expansion may be around the filler hoses, and in an FJ40, at least, you'll get fumes in the cab, since that's where the fuel tank is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom