FJ40 Gas Mileage.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I Used a GPS To compare my speedo to actual speed and calculate my % off that. My 32” tires make my speedo exactly 10% slow. When I figure my miles I add 10% to the odometer.

Mine is off by a tad more than 10% (33” tires) ... but... I do 10% because my brain can't rap my head around that 1% more doing the math on the fly :meh:

Too much information already in there clogging the inner workings of anything else ... it’s what happens when you get older... you just don’t give a crap about piddly shet anymore :)

A 2F drinking 2X fuel per mile needs tuning, or it is going to wear out quicker. Now, 8mpg might be low, and a slightly tricked out 15mpg might be high (but he is hauling a hard top, doors, and brushguard). But, carbon build-up can cause pre-ignition when it is glowing, a vacuum leak can toast a valve.

I'd start with a plug reading (take each one out and photograph it for lean, rich, or oil fouled conditions). I'd check the their gap, clean them, apply anti-seize, and reinstall. I'd also check resistance over the plug cables with a multi-meter. Do you have header? What brand? Is your intake manifold cracked over the heat riser (check from under the truck, with a mirror, or, if the carb is off without a stock exhaust manifold)?

I run my mighty 2F with an FJ60 big cap dizzy re-curved by Jim C, original 4.11 gearing with 33 inch tires (rubber overdrive) and she typically gets 12-14 (odometer not GPS).

I used to tell folks that asked about my MPG that she got 13... uphill, downhill, headwind, tailwind, 2wd, 4wd ... agree with Claudia, smile per mile.

Typically do 12-14(best) on highway. Carb rebuilt by Jim C. Very stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom