FJ40 Front Hood Radiator Shims & Pads (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1969 FJ40 has been in the family since it came off the dealer's lot. It is original factory specs (production 8/1968) and I am trying to keep it that way, but my Dad could be quire the improviser, especially if something squeaked or rattled. My hood rests on the four "radiator shims" which I know are OEM, but then I have one rubber pad on each side of cowling/fender where the corner of the hood rests when latched into position (see attached photo - it will make more sense). I cannot find these two rubber strips anywhere in a tech manual, restoration guide or parts catalog. Has anyone seen pads like these before? Did the FJ40s come that way in 1968-69, or do you think my Dad did not like to hear the hood rattling?
Radiator Shims and Pads - Copy.JPG

I have an all original 1969 and those shims are not stock. They were put there for a reason. Perhaps there was a squeak and he was trying to catch it. Not OEM.

I am in the midst of a full paint restoration in original colors. I will remove the "add on shims." My FJ has never been in a colision, so the hood should be well aligned. I will install new radiator shims after painting is completed. Does your hood fit snugly with just the radiator shims and not make any rub marks on the underside of the hood or side cowling? Thanks!

I am in the midst of a full paint restoration in original colors. I will remove the "add on shims." My FJ has never been in a colision, so the hood should be well aligned. I will install new radiator shims after painting is completed. Does your hood fit snugly with just the radiator shims and not make any rub marks on the underside of the hood or side cowling? Thanks!
I have a 2/69. I just put on a set of new “shims” and hood fits great. No rattles, etc

I will go look and photo. But my recall is the front shims, stock, were not enough where the hood meets the aprons. Mine is probably the same and wera has happened. Tomorrow I will look.

I will go look and photo. But my recall is the front shims, stock, were not enough where the hood meets the aprons. Mine is probably the same and wera has happened. Tomorrow I will look.
Thank you. Much appreciated. It looks like many of today’s aftermarket shims are thicker than the original OEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom